• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you say hello to everyone?

Hi Everybody,

I'd like to know how to say hello to everyone in the English Speaking Countries and I wanted to know how to answer the people who said hello to me. Sometimes I hear the people say "How you doing", I have no idea whether it's my listening problem or not, how come there is no verb "are" in the sentence? Not "How are you doing"? And I wanted to know people are seldomly to use "How do you do?" to say hello now, right? If I am wrong, please correct me. Thanks a lot!

Regards,

William

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you say hello to everyone?

"How do you do" is extremely formal, and you only say it when you meet someone the first time. It's no regular greeting. The reply to that is "How do you do".

When saying "How are you doing?" people often drop the "are". You usually answer that with "Fine, thanks."

yiuho is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
    "How do you do" is extremely formal, and you only say it when you meet someone the first time. It's no regular greeting. The reply to that is "How do you do".

When saying "How are you doing?" people often drop the "are". You usually answer that with "Fine, thanks."
    Thanks for your reply....following are my questions, I really hope you can answer me...

1. I always watch hollywood movies, I never hear people say "how do you do?" I wanted to know if it's an outdated English, is "how do you do?" only appear in British English?

2. Apart from "How do you do?" and "How are you doing?, any other greetings are using in English Countries, could you please list all common greetings and how to answer them? Sometimes I hear people say "good" to instead of "fine"...is it correct?

Yours,

William

cmtina is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

"How are you doing " is an extremely common greeting in USA,and more popular than "how do you do"
    I hear that "How do you do"is used when you introduce yourself to someone .I think it sounds more formal than "HOw are you doing"
    And the expression "how are you doing " is used to greeting to someone whom you have known aldready .It 's less formal than "How do you do"
    And "hello" is a normal greeting .As I know,it's a formal greeting ,too .You can use it in every situation(but it only 's my opinion)

bmdx is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

"how is it going" isn't a greeting sentence too?
    apart the above things that dear tina said. i heard this before