• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default avoiding of a few wordy expressions

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the term in bracket is a proper equivalent of the expression in bold in the responding sentence?

Because of the bad acoustics, the actors words were so low that they could not be heard. (inaudible)

The people who were sitting in the church listened attentively to the vicar’s sermon. (congregation)

He had great strength of body to fight tiredness and could run for hours without stopping. (stamina)

My cousin is able to use both hands equally well. This was a great advantage when he broike his arm since he could still write with his other hand.(ambidextor)

My doctor gave me sleeping pills because I was suffering from a prolonged inability to sleep. (insomnia)

I’ve just read a very good written account of the life of Beethoven. (biography)

I’ve just bought a cottage in an island in the group of islands outside Stockholm. (archipelago)

The student said he was sorry for his bad behavior. (apologize)

As I was reversing into the garage I ran into a past and badly dented the metal bar fixed at the back of a car for protection. (bumper)

Which room for patients at the hospital is your mather in? (ward)

I know it looks difficult at the moment, but don’t worry things will work out in one way or another. (somehow)

Two cars drove into one another at a crossroad this morning in the village of Ninfield, but fortunately no one was hurt. (collided)

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: avoiding of a few wordy expressions

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the term in brackets is a proper equivalent of the expression in bold in the corresponding sentence. This is not a question; it is a request, so you should use a period at the end.

Because of the bad acoustics, the actors words were so quiet that they could not be heard. (inaudible)

The people who were sitting in the church listened attentively to the vicar’s sermon. (congregation)

He had great strength of body to fight tiredness and could run for hours without stopping. (stamina)

My cousin is able to use both hands equally well. This was a great advantage when he broike his arm since he could still write with his other hand.(ambidextrous)

My doctor gave me sleeping pills because I was suffering from a prolonged inability to sleep. (insomnia)

I’ve just read a very good written account of the life of Beethoven. (biography)

I’ve just bought a cottage on an island in the group of islands outside Stockholm. (archipelago)

The student said he was sorry for his bad behavior. (apologized)

As I was backing into the garage I ran into a post and badly dented the metal guard fixed at the back of a car for protection. (bumper) A bumper is not usually a bar.

Which room for patients at the hospital is your mather in? (ward) In North America, a ward is not a room. It is an an area of a hospital, usually looking after one kind of patients and having many rooms for patients. It also has an area where nurses work from.

I know it looks difficult at the moment, but don’t worry things will work out in one way or another. (somehow)

Two cars drove into one another at a crossroad this morning in the village of Ninfield, but fortunately no one was hurt. (collided)

Thank you for your efforts. You're welcome. Check all the (words) with a dictionary, as I have given some of your meanings a little leeway.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by 2006; 11-Nov-2009 at 01:21. Reason: slight change