123321 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Essay on Ibsen "Doll's House"

Hi, I'm new here. I need to write a thesis defense essay for "A Doll's House". I found this place and I thought some one here could help me.

This is my current essay and abstract. I just want to know if its good or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Essay
    =====
    In the play A Doll's House, Henrik Ibsen makes it obvious that Nora loves Torvald because of the
    things she does for him; for instance, the contract that she took to go on a trip to save Torvald's life. However, Ibsen uses symbolism, as in the contract taken out between Nora and Krogstad; dialogue, and in Nora's blatant confessional on the forged contract to develop Nora's love for Krogstad in very subtle manner.

The first sign of Nora's love for Krogstad came from the
    contract she made with him before the story began. Nora felt that she could only trust Krogstad to
    make the contract with. She could have gone to anyone else; however, she still ended up going to him. When Krogstad reminded Nora of why she made the contract she said, "I didn't know anyone else to go to." (p26) This is proof that she only trusted him enough to do the contract with him.

Another piece of evidence is that Nora both quickly and
    easily admits to committing fraud. She did not have to admit it and
    she knew it. She wants to help Krogstad; however, she couldn't because it would be too suspicious. She needed a reason to do so, which she recieved when he threatens to expose her with the forged signature. She did not have to admit to forging the signature, as he even admitted that he had no proof. He said the only thing wrong was the date, since it was her handwriting and after her father died. However, he even admited it could have a normal explanation, that her "father may have forgotten to date his signature, and someone else may have dated it haphazard before they knew of his death." and "It all depends on the signature of the name; and that is genuine, I suppose". (28) Nora was the one who came out and said, "It was I that wrote papa’s name." (p28) This way she could help him and have a reason to do it.

Nora loves Krogstad, as presented by Ibsen, whom uses symbolism, as in the contract taken out between Nora and Krogstad; dialogue, and in Nora's blatant confessional on the forged contract, to develop Nora's love for Krogstad in very subtle manner. Krogstad is the only person Nora could trust to make the contract with. Nora also willingly admits to fraud so she would have a valid reason to help Krogstad.

Abstract
    =======

In the play A Doll's House, Nora loves Krogstad. Nora loves Krogstad and trusts him to the point where she only trusts Krogstad to take out a loan with. However, when he threatens her with the same contract, she knows that Krogstad did not have any proof of her fraud and could not actually use it against her. However, she admits to forging her father's signature all on her own. She did it so she could have a reason to help Krogstad. Ibsen uses symbolism, as in the contract taken out between Nora and Krogstad; dialogue, and in Nora's blatant confessional on the forged contract to develop Nora's love for Krogstad in very subtle manner.

I was also thinking of adding another paragraph and changing it to about Nora and Krogstad love each other. But I wasn't sure if I could do it as it might be too much "speculation".

Krogstad also loves Nora and shows this by exposing the contract to Torvald. He knew he would be able to use it to blackmail him. He wants Nora, so he becomes mad that she will not leave Torvald for him. Just as she will not leave Torvald for Dr. Rank. So he was hoping he could use the contract to blackmail and eventually ruin Torvald. In turn, he hopes this will cause her to leave Torvald for him in the same way that Mrs. Linde left him for her husband. He wanted Nora because Ms. Linde left him. After Ms. Linde took him back he longer wanted Nora so he was going to take his letter back. (p61)
    If they ask I could always use Nora rejecting Dr. Rank as proof that she loved them but it was more for fun. She didn't want to talk about it and she would not leave Torvald for either.

Is this a good enough essay? Is that other paragraph good enough to put in? (I am afraid it might be too short.)

123321 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Essay] A Doll's House

Why I am I being ignored? Am I posting in the wrong place?

I was wondering. I am arguing that Nora loves Torvald, Dr. Rank and Krogstad. (I am just arguing Krogstad but it required the other two) But then I say that she wont leave Torvald. So should I slightly alter my topic. Because wouldn't that mean she really doesn't love them just playing them? How would I word it? How do I change it so no one can call me out on it?

123321 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

[Essay] A Doll's House

I am going to post here in case I posted in the wrong place last time as I got no replies there.

I need to write a thesis defense essay for "A Doll's House". I found this place and I thought some one here could help me.

This is my current essay and abstract. I just want to know if its good or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Essay
    =====
    In the play A Doll's House, Henrik Ibsen makes it obvious that Nora loves Torvald because of the
    things she does for him; for instance, the contract that she took to go on a trip to save Torvald's life. However, Ibsen uses symbolism, as in the contract taken out between Nora and Krogstad; dialogue, and in Nora's blatant confessional on the forged contract to develop Nora's love for Krogstad in very subtle manner.

The first sign of Nora's love for Krogstad came from the
    contract she made with him before the story began. Nora felt that she could only trust Krogstad to
    make the contract with. She could have gone to anyone else; however, she still ended up going to him. When Krogstad reminded Nora of why she made the contract she said, "I didn't know anyone else to go to." (p26) This is proof that she only trusted him enough to do the contract with him.

Another piece of evidence is that Nora both quickly and
    easily admits to committing fraud. She did not have to admit it and
    she knew it. She wants to help Krogstad; however, she couldn't because it would be too suspicious. She needed a reason to do so, which she recieved when he threatens to expose her with the forged signature. She did not have to admit to forging the signature, as he even admitted that he had no proof. He said the only thing wrong was the date, since it was her handwriting and after her father died. However, he even admited it could have a normal explanation, that her "father may have forgotten to date his signature, and someone else may have dated it haphazard before they knew of his death." and "It all depends on the signature of the name; and that is genuine, I suppose". (28) Nora was the one who came out and said, "It was I that wrote papa’s name." (p28) This way she could help him and have a reason to do it.

Nora loves Krogstad, as presented by Ibsen, whom uses symbolism, as in the contract taken out between Nora and Krogstad; dialogue, and in Nora's blatant confessional on the forged contract, to develop Nora's love for Krogstad in very subtle manner. Krogstad is the only person Nora could trust to make the contract with. Nora also willingly admits to fraud so she would have a valid reason to help Krogstad.

Abstract
    =======

In the play A Doll's House, Nora loves Krogstad. Nora loves Krogstad and trusts him to the point where she only trusts Krogstad to take out a loan with. However, when he threatens her with the same contract, she knows that Krogstad did not have any proof of her fraud and could not actually use it against her. However, she admits to forging her father's signature all on her own. She did it so she could have a reason to help Krogstad. Ibsen uses symbolism, as in the contract taken out between Nora and Krogstad; dialogue, and in Nora's blatant confessional on the forged contract to develop Nora's love for Krogstad in very subtle manner.
    I was also thinking of adding another paragraph and changing it to about Nora and Krogstad love each other. But I wasn't sure if I could do it as it might be too much "speculation".

Krogstad also loves Nora and shows this by exposing the contract to Torvald. He knew he would be able to use it to blackmail him. He wants Nora, so he becomes mad that she will not leave Torvald for him. Just as she will not leave Torvald for Dr. Rank. So he was hoping he could use the contract to blackmail and eventually ruin Torvald. In turn, he hopes this will cause her to leave Torvald for him in the same way that Mrs. Linde left him for her husband. He wanted Nora because Ms. Linde left him. After Ms. Linde took him back he longer wanted Nora so he was going to take his letter back. (p61)
    If they ask I could always use Nora rejecting Dr. Rank as proof that she loved them but it was more for fun. She didn't want to talk about it and she would not leave Torvald for either.

{Is this a good enough essay? Is that other paragraph good enough to put in? (I am afraid it might be too short.)}

But then I am arguing that Nora loves Torvald, Dr. Rank and Krogstad. (I am just arguing Krogstad but it required the other two) But then I say that she wont leave Torvald. So should I slightly alter my topic. Because wouldn't that mean she really doesn't love them just playing them? How would I word it? How do I change it so no one can call me out on it?

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know "A Doll's House", so I'll have to trust you about what it says. However, since you are meant to be writing "a thesis defense essay", I assume that you need to i) have a thesis, and ii) defend it.

Is there some question about whether Nora loves Torvald? I suppose there must be, otherwise it wouldn't require much of a defense. In that case, you should point that out to your reader.

In Ibsen's The Doll's House, there has been disagreement about whether Nora loves Torvald. Whether she does is not actively stated in the play, but I will argue that Ibsen's use of symbolism ... etc. makes it obvious that this is the case. [That is a statement of a thesis].

I wouldn't mention the examples straight away in the introduction. You have to first set up what you are going to write about, and what stance you are going to take, and why. Your first paragraph plunges too quickly into your argument.
    You could build up interest by adding more to the controversy, for example after the first sentence above: For example Professor X has argued that Nora does not care for Torvald (X, 2001, p.5).
    This makes your essay even better since it implies that you have considered arguments to the contrary, but have good reason to believe they are wrong, and you will be giving valid evidence against an authority.

Anyhow, that's just a few thoughts.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123321 View Post
    Why I am I being ignored? Am I posting in the wrong place?

I was wondering. I am arguing that Nora loves Torvald, Dr. Rank and Krogstad. (I am just arguing Krogstad but it required the other two) But then I say that she wont leave Torvald. So should I slightly alter my topic. Because wouldn't that mean she really doesn't love them just playing them? How would I word it? How do I change it so no one can call me out on it?
    See your duplicate post for my answer.
    (I don't have an opinion on this specific matter).

No, you're not posting in the wrong place, but you're asking for help with something that you appear quite capable of doing by yourself.