• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default crackdown/underway/frustrated/bungled(adj.)/bungle(v)/bungle(n)/billet

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I a on the right track with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Around two thousand Georgian opposition protesters took to the streets of the capital Tbilisi on Saturday to commemorate the second anniversary of a crackdown on mass demonstrations that injured.

crackdown (n) = an act or example of forceful regulation, repression, or restraint; severely repressive actions
    crack down (v) = clamp down = act more forcefully to regulate, repress, or restrain

They understood that the time was such that they needed to be persistent, they were right in the middle of changes underway in the Soviet Union, in Central and Eastern Europe, there were velvet revolutions – or woolen ones, all sorts of things happened – while Germany was somehow not involved. No, I think significant processes had been underway in Germany…

underway = under way = in motion or operation; set in motion

Behind every successful politician is a frustrated actor.

frustrated = disappointingly unsuccessful

Gunman killed in bungled armed robbery

bungle = to act or work in a clumsy, awkward manner; spoil by behaving clumsily or foolishl as in: I bungled it!

Very likely Luther bungled in his arguments.

bungle (v) = blunder (v) = commit a faux pas or a fault or make a serious mistake

He made a bungle of it.

bungle (n) = fault, muddle = an embarrassing mistake

They have to go into billets.

billet (n) = lodging for military personnel (especially in a private home)

The soldiers were billeted in a village on the banks of Oder.

The villagers did not like having the soldiers billeted on them.

billet (v) = quarter

They shall beat out my brains with billets.

billet (n) = a small stick of wood, as for firewood.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: crackdown/underway/frustrated/bungled(adj.)/bungle(v)/bungle(n)/billet

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I a on the right track with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    Around two thousand Georgian opposition protesters took to the streets of the capital Tbilisi on Saturday to commemorate the second anniversary of a crackdown on mass demonstrations that injured hundreds. OK

crackdown (n) = an act or example of forceful regulation, repression, or restraint; severely repressive actions
    crack down (v) = clamp down = act more forcefully to regulate, repress, or restrain

They understood that the time was such that they needed to be persistent, they were right in the middle of changes underway in the Soviet Union, in Central and Eastern Europe, there were velvet revolutions – or woolen ones, all sorts of things happened – while Germany was somehow not involved. No, I think significant processes had been underway in Germany…

underway = under way = in motion or operation; set in motion = currently in progress Ok Predations for the forthcoming summit is underway.

Behind every successful politician is a frustrated actor.

frustrated = disappointingly unsuccessful OK
    His repeated failures left him angry and frustrated.
    Gunman killed in bungled armed robbery

bungle = to act or work in a clumsy, awkward manner; spoil by behaving clumsily or foolishl as in: I bungled it! Ok. You have to perform and avoid any kind of bungling.

Very likely Luther bungled in his arguments.

bungle (v) = blunder (v) = commit a faux pas or a fault or make a serious mistake=a careless or stupid mistake: OK A last-minute blunder by the goalkeeper cost them the match.
    He made a bungle of it.

bungle (n) = fault, muddle = an embarrassing mistake OK

They have to go into billets.

billet (n) = lodging for military personnel (especially in a private home)= a private house where soldiers are living temporarily

The soldiers were billeted in a village on the banks of Oder. OK

The villagers did not like having the soldiers billeted on them.

billet (v) = quarter

They shall beat out my brains with billets. the brain is the centre of thought and emotion. It is responsible for the coordination and control of bodily activities and the interpretation of information from the senses (sight, hearing, smell, etc. Beating out the brain amounts to attempted murder or make some one dead. Does it mean that?
    billet (n) = a small stick of wood, as for firewood.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    SKP