Thread: the Toledoes

serendip Guest

Default the Toledoes

I would like to know where the phrase "beat the Toledoes" (be very heavy) comes from. Who were they?
    thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the Toledoes

Quote Originally Posted by serendip
    I would like to know where the phrase "beat the Toledoes" (be very heavy) comes from. Who were they?
    thanks for your help.
    I don't think it's a phrase. I have never heard that one before.
    Toledo might mean different things depending on where you found your sentence:

"
    Toledo (city, Spain), Toledo (sword or steel sword blade), University of Toledo (university, Ohio), Toledo, Esteban (golfer), Toledo (WA), Toledo (OR), Toledo (IL) More..."

serendip Guest

well, it must be some sort of phrase because I have already encountered it at least three times: twice on the internet "Have you tried every diet and still made no dent in your fat thighs or tummy? Do you work out six days a week but still continue to tip the Toledoes? " and "I would rather have to add weight to a car than come in tipping the Toledoes bang on. At least you can put the weight where you want it most. "
    and last time in a book "Tiny, like most men burdened with that nickname, was 6'5" standing in a hollow, and punished the Toledoes at 269. "

Post Thanks / Like

well, it must be some sort of phrase because I have already encountered it at least three times: twice on the internet "Have you tried every diet and still made no dent in your fat thighs or tummy? Do you work out six days a week but still continue to tip the Toledoes? " and "I would rather have to add weight to a car than come in tipping the Toledoes bang on. At least you can put the weight where you want it most. "
    and last time in a book "Tiny, like most men burdened with that nickname, was 6'5" standing in a hollow, and punished the Toledoes at 269. "

Well, every bit helps, Serendip. Without the context, it's merely impossible to figure out what you have in mind, especially when Toledo is a manufacturer brand name for scales.

but still continue to tip the Toledoes? ...she is working out six times a week trying to fight the battle of the bulge and .... nothing doing.

If she continues to tip the Toledos she is too heavy for the scale.

serendip Guest

makes sense. I didn't know Toledo was a brand name for scales. Thanks a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

makes sense. I didn't know Toledo was a brand name for scales. Thanks a lot!
    you're welcome!