johnnyg036 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Is this in proper mla format

John Giannakopoulos
    Marian Staats
    Egl 102

Gender Inequality

Gender inequality is a problem that we have now and will have for many more years. This is an issue that can’t be resolved at any time in the near future due to stubbornness of males. When a man and women are fighting for a position or working together already the man will always have the upper hand. "This is because of the satisfaction that a consumer receives from white males and not women" said David R Hechman (1). When you want something you’re going to spend the extra money to get it. In almost any situation consumers will spend the extra dollar.
    In David R. Heckman's article "Gender Inequality" he addresses many different topics, such as gender inequality at work, discrimination, and sexism. Furthermore, Hechman believes that women will never be equal to men. Hechman has done multiple studies that have informed us on how people prefer to talk with a male rather than a female in many different areas of life. He has done studies such as life at work, movies, shopping, cleaning. The results that he has encountered during the duration of these test all conclude that majority of the people choose to be helped by men and not women. They have chosen this route because of past experiences. When it comes time to start thinking about how we can fix the problem, Hechman never really goes into detail on how we obtain equality. Hechman says "What is required to solve the problem of wage inequality isn’t necessarily paying women more but changing customer bias. Hechman presented a suggestion that isn’t that effective because you can't change what people want or need. People who choose to have a male help them is solely up to them. Consumers feel more comfortable being helped by a male because they fulfill their needs. That doesn’t necessarily make it true, but based on the results of experiments it is.
    In another similar study by David R. Heckman he figured out that a white male doctor is more approachable and easier to talk to than women and minority doctors. With these results they are finding out that patients and employers are willing to spend the extra money to receive treatment from a male doctor because they are more satisfied with them. Employers pay the extra money because they want to give their customers what they want. When customer that gets what they want they're happy and also become a regular customer. One of the ways they suggest that we can fix the problem of such bias is not to pay women and minorities more; but to change the way people think. When someone says we need to change how people think I believe it shows a little bias himself. It shows bias because we can’t change how people think, thus it's why people think. People have their own thoughts and opinions. If you’re not that person more times than not if they satisfied with something or somewhat they're not going to change their mind. Since, Hechman said "not paying women more but change how they think" is a very weak argument, but an inaccurate way of dealing with a situation. To
    When someone has the same credentials one would think they have equal opportunity to move up the ladder and get paid more for their work. Due to glass ceiling effect that might not be possible. The glass ceiling is a saying that means you can’t move up in rank. This is based on the fact there is a lot of bias present. This theory is more effective in high powered/ high income company where there are not as many women working. With women being haunted by this artificial barrier will only get worse and more nerve racking as their career continues. This comes into effect because women are more likely to leave their job because of marriage and pregnancy. Which is why they’re put into these dead end jobs that have little mobility and not enough pay for their work.
    In any job the most important thing is the paycheck. Some are happy working good hours and just getting paid, but others want more money. In 1999 Census data said that women earned 71% of men’s earnings. Then it gets broken down by race and gender. White women receive 78% of what men make. Women receive 90% of that of African American, and also 88% of wages earned by a Hispanic origin. They’re few places in the world where men earn less than women and one of those are Bahrain. In this Gulf State women earn 40 cents more than male workers. In by David R Heckman recent studies he viewed and analyzed videos which included black male, white male, and a white female. Out of those consumers 19% were more satisfied with the white male’s employee’s performance and also were more satisfied with how clean the store was and the stores appearance. Even though all three actors performed with the same exact script, lighting, camera angles and the lighting the white males still prevailed as the most appealing. In these videos 45% of the customers were women and 41 of the 45% were not even white. With that being said even women and minority customers prefer the help of a white male over anyone else’s
    While reading the article I came across some of the stats that women can’t go up the ladder, they’re stuck at dead end jobs, as well as earning 30% less than men. When you present statistics like that you need more than one source because you’re not sure how many jobs they asked, or how many states and countries they have received their information from. Most of the ideas Mr. Hechman presented were well thought out and easy to understand. I agree with some of the claims such as we prefer white male doctor over women and minorities. I am fault for that myself. I think that because of society and the household that we live. This problem will not get resolved in the near future because it is not a main priority even though that it should be. There are many things in this world that we never thought would happen, but they did. It took a long time but it eventually happened. I believe that in a few more years or so that one day both men and women will be equal.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is this in proper mla format

I would say it isn't, though there is so little there in terms of references and notes that it's hard to say.

I prefer the APA format, and expect it for submissions to my academic review.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so Ray. The title is not descriptive; it's not double-spaced; there are no indentations for the paragraphs; there is no title given for the journal the single article cited is from; the year of the article is not mentioned; there is no bibliography; the italics are used inappropriately in the first two words (they are there for style rather than a valid MLA reason).

It's not very close to the MLA style.

However, if it's just a fragment of a paper, and if the formatting has been lost by his cut and paste, it's hard to say just how far away from the MLA format he is.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I don't think so Ray.
    I didn't look at the essay. I assumed the writer could make a comparison between the essay and the style pages I posted and make his own decision.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like