Thread: essay writing

confused Guest

Unhappy essay writing

Hi im writing an essay on Samuel Beckett at the moment for college and one of the titles provided is "Beckett presents the narrators as alienated and in love with 'hiding and the prone position'" Iam unsure of what 'the prone position means can anyone help me with what this phrase means??????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: essay writing

Quote Originally Posted by confused
    "Beckett presents the narrators as alienated and in love with 'hiding and the prone position'" Iam unsure of what 'the prone position means can anyone help me with what this phrase means?
    Lying face downwards, prostrate; in submission.

The Expelled [1946] (publ. 1984): ‘I had done them no harm (p.35); ‘The very idea of changing my trousers, or of confiding in mother, who goodness knows asked nothing better than to help me, was unbearable [...] (p.38); ‘Whence this wary way of walking, with legs stiff and wide apart, and this desperate rolling of the bust, no doubt intended to put people off the scent, to make them think I was full of gaiety and high spirits [...] (p.38); ‘I became sour and mistrustful, a little before my time, in love with hiding and the prone position.’ (p.38); ‘No need for caution. We may reason on to our heart’s content, the fog won’t lift.’ (p.38); ‘I you can’t bloody well get about like everyone else [...] you’d do better to stay at home.’ (p.38); ‘There was a great flurry of hats and at the same time a flutter of countless fingers [...] he seemed crucified all of a heap, no dignity, his knees under his chin and his hands anyhow.’ (p.39); ‘the absolute impossibility of purchase [...] compels you to bestir yourself (p.40); ‘It was not so dark now in the stable, I could make out the manger, the rack, the harness hanging [...] (p.46); ‘I don’t know why I told this story [...] Perhaps some other time I’ll be able to tell another. Living souls, you will see how alike they are.’ (p.47).