• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

point of view/red carded/emergency meeting/have adjusted their position

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

From this point of view, aircraft instruments may be divided into imaging and non- imaging instruments.

point of view = the position from which something is observed or considered

Norwegian Terje Hauge red carded substitute Aleksandr Kerzhakov for what he considered an assault on Slovenian keeper Samir Handanovic.
    red-carded = banished from the field.

Immediately after her death, investigators announced this was a suicide, which caused an outcry from Kaliningrad journalists and opposition figures.
    outcry = protest

Semyen Kushnerov, chairman of the regional branch of the Russian Union of Journalists, called for an emergency meeting of the union’s leadership, which adopted a specific statement regarding the incident.

emergency meeting= extraordinary meeting

Due to public pressure, investigators have adjusted their position.

adjust = correct,

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

magdalena is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: point of view/red carded/emergency meeting/have adjusted their position

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

From this point of view, aircraft instruments may be divided into imaging and non- imaging instruments.

Norwegian Terje Hauge red carded substitute Aleksandr Kerzhakov for what he considered an assault on Slovenian keeper Samir Handanovic.

Immediately after her death, investigators announced this was a suicide, which caused an outcry from Kaliningrad journalists and opposition figures.
    outcry = protest

Semyen Kushnerov, chairman of the regional branch of the Russian Union of Journalists, called for an emergency meeting of the unionís leadership, which adopted a specific statement regarding the incident.

adjust = correct,

Regards,

V.
    yes, you are right

adjust- changed their position to fit the new policy

point of view- opinion, the way you look at things

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: point of view/red carded/emergency meeting/have adjusted their position

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

outcry = protest

Semyen Kushnerov, chairman of the regional branch of the Russian Union of Journalists, called for an emergency meeting of the unionís leadership, which adopted a specific statement regarding the incident.

adjust = correct,

Regards,

V.
    point of view = the position from which something is observed or considered= An attitude or standpoint, how one sees or thinks of something.

For example let us take the subject of relationship between Religion and Spirituality.
    The point of view of some people who claim to be religious is that spirituality has nothing to do with religion,

There are some people who claim be spiritual and from their point of view Religion and Spirituality are two separate entities.

Yet, there is a third category whose point of view is that the relationship between religion and spirituality can be seen comparable to the relationship between container and content, between form and substance, or between theory and practice.

My point of view is that there are several ways to attain Spirituality and Religion is one such way.