Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    krishnau is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Education system

In the essay,” Confusing Harder with Better”, Alfie Kohn shows his dissatisfaction with the current educational system. He protests against “raising the bar”. That is, in the name of raising standards, teachers are making children to study for tests. He says,” Not only public officials but business groups and many journalists have played a role in reducing the available options to two: Either you’re in the favor of higher standards for you are presumably content with lower standards. Choose one. “(p.121) thus Kohn strongly condemns in choosing standards even by educated people. In my view all students should be educated equally. That is, I support Hirsch’s “Core Knowledge” i.e.; to educate students equally and maintaining standards correspondingly.
    In India, most of the private institutions maintain different standards. That is, they divide students into two categories: high level and low level. From a test they divide students into these two categories. The high level students learn under the guidance of highly experienced professors. In this situation, the high level followers learn more than low level. This is analogous to the phrase – “rich gets richer and poor gets poorer.” And low level students cannot compete with high level students throughout their career. But the public institutions follow “Core Knowledge” system. I agree with public institutions because, all students can learn equally.
    The only problem facing teachers in the name of “Core Knowledge” is whether the students need to be challenged to difficult tasks or to be given easy. Both can hurt student’s career because if students are given unchallenging tasks they may feel bored to learn. In such case, they can get all A’s and still “flunk” life by not reaching required standards. In the same way, if they are challenged by impossible tasks, they may get frustrated. So, the better choice would be mingling both difficult and easy tasks.
    John Holt in his essay, “School is bad for Children” makes some points regarding how a school should be. He says that schools should give importance for “Paired learning”.That is, he points that students can learn more when they share knowledge with their peers. Holt’s points like bringing non-full time teaches to schools, taking students to city and help them to use learning resources are really adoptable. Every school should try to implement these ideas because students gain a lot with practical learning. For example, if a teacher says that laughing gas (N2O) can be prepared when we heat ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) the student can remember it till exam but if he does a practical on it he would never forget it. If teachers use practical learning as main tool to improve their standards, students can learn more. In addition, teachers should find the best ways of educating children. Without considering standards as a parameter, teachers should concentrate how they are helpful to the students. Along with textbooks teachers should add practical examples to their lesson. Student should not feel burdened to learn.
    I believe that children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves. The genuine meaning of raising standards is to teach student but not making him to learn for tests. That can be achieved by making children to learn from practical lessons instead of stuffing into their mind.

Work Cited
    Kohn, Alfie, “Confusing Harder with Better”, In Guidelines: A Cross Cultural Reading/Writing Text. Ed.Ruth Spack. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. 121- 124.
    Holt, John, “School Is Bad for Children”, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008.
    Last edited by krishnau; 23-Nov-2009 at 17:26.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Education system

Say:
    his dissatisfaction with the current educational system

Space between paragraphs.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krishnau View Post
    In the essay,” Confusing Harder with Better”, Alfie Khon shows his dissatisfaction with the current educational system. He protests against “raising the bar” and “accountability”. That is, in the name of raising standards teachers are making children study for tests. He says,” Not only public officials but business groups and many journalists have played a role in reducing the available options to two: Either you’re in the favor of higher standards or you are presumably content with lower standards. Choose one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your immediate reply.Can you please check whether essay is organised well or not?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There are, unfortunately, there are so many mistakes that organization is the least of your problems. Rewrite it to the best of your ability, post it here, and then we will look at it again. (The organization seems to be okay, but there are so many mistakes that it is virtually unreadable.)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I edited the essay and posted again.Can you check for grammatical and organisation errors?
    * paragraph spacing not working.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is tne entire essay spaced (with the mistakes left in):
    In the essay,” Confusing Harder with Better”, Alfie Kohn shows his dissatisfaction with the current educational system. He protests against “raising the bar”. That is, in the name of raising standards, teachers are making children to study for tests. He says,” Not only public officials but business groups and many journalists have played a role in reducing the available options to two: Either you’re in the favor of higher standards for you are presumably content with lower standards. Choose one. “(p.121) thus Kohn strongly condemns in choosing standards even by educated people. In my view all students should be educated equally. That is, I support Hirsch’s “Core Knowledge” i.e.; to educate students equally and maintaining standards correspondingly.

In India, most of the private institutions maintain different standards. That is, they divide students into two categories: high level and low level. From a test they divide students into these two categories. The high level students learn under the guidance of highly experienced professors. In this situation, the high level followers learn more than low level. This is analogous to the phrase – “rich gets richer and poor gets poorer.” And low level students cannot compete with high level students throughout their career. But the public institutions follow “Core Knowledge” system. I agree with public institutions because, all students can learn equally.
    The only problem facing teachers in the name of “Core Knowledge” is whether the students need to be challenged to difficult tasks or to be given easy. Both can hurt student’s career because if students are given unchallenging tasks they may feel bored to learn. In such case, they can get all A’s and still “flunk” life by not reaching required standards. In the same way, if they are challenged by impossible tasks, they may get frustrated. So, the better choice would be mingling both difficult and easy tasks.

John Holt in his essay, “School is bad for Children” makes some points regarding how a school should be. He says that schools should give importance for “Paired learning”.That is, he points that students can learn more when they share knowledge with their peers. Holt’s points like bringing non-full time teaches to schools, taking students to city and help them to use learning resources are really adoptable. Every school should try to implement these ideas because students gain a lot with practical learning. For example, if a teacher says that laughing gas (N2O) can be prepared when we heat ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) the student can remember it till exam but if he does a practical on it he would never forget it. If teachers use practical learning as main tool to improve their standards, students can learn more. In addition, teachers should find the best ways of educating children. Without considering standards as a parameter, teachers should concentrate how they are helpful to the students. Along with textbooks teachers should add practical examples to their lesson. Student should not feel burdened to learn.

I believe that children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves. The genuine meaning of raising standards is to teach student but not making him to learn for tests. That can be achieved by making children to learn from practical lessons instead of stuffing into their mind.

I simply made paragraphs where the original writer indicated he wanted them to be. (I might have made different choices.)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    In the essay,” Confusing Harder with Better”, Alfie Kohn shows his dissatisfaction with the current educational system. He protests against “raising the bar”. That is, in the name of raising standards, teachers are making children to study for tests. He says,” Not only public officials but also business groups and many journalists have played a role in reducing the available options to two: Either you’re in the favor of higher standards for you are presumably content with lower standards. Choose one. “(p.121)

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    This Kohn strongly condemns in choosing standards even by educated people.
    I don't know what that means, so I can't make any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

I edited the essay and posted again.

In the essay,” Confusing Harder with Better”, Alfie Kohn shows his dissatisfaction towards the current educational system. He protests against “raising the bar”. That is, in the name of raising standards, teachers are making children to study for tests. He says,” These days almost anything can be done to students and to schools, no matters how ill-considered, as long as it is done in the name of raising standards. As a result, we are facing a situation in this country [USA] that can be described without exaggeration as an educational emergency: The intellectual life is being squeezed out of classrooms, schools are being turned into giant test-prep centers“(p.121) thus Kohn strongly condemns in choosing standards. I agree. In my view all students should be educated equally. That is, I support Hirsch’s “Core Knowledge” i.e.; to educate students equally and maintaining standards correspondingly.
    In India, most of the private institutions maintain different standards. That is, they divide students into two categories: high level and low level. From a test they divide students into these two categories. The high level students learn under the guidance of highly experienced professors. In this situation, the high level followers learn more than low level.Low level students do not get as good an education as high level students and cannot get the same jobs that high level students can. This is analogous to the phrase – “the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer.” But the public institutions follow “Core Knowledge” system. I agree with public institutions because, all students can learn equally.
    John Holt in his essay, “School is bad for Children” makes some points regarding how a school should be. He says that schools should give importance for “Paired learning”. That is, he points that students can learn more when they share knowledge with their peers. With “Pair Learning” you can share the same interests and passions you do want to develop and fulfill with peers. Holt’s points like bringing non-full time teaches to schools, taking students to city and help them to use learning resources are really adoptable. Every school should try to implement these ideas because students gain a lot with practical learning. For example, if a teacher says that laughing gas (N2O) can be prepared when we heat ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) the student can remember it till exam but if he does a practical on it he would never forget it. If teachers use practical learning as main tool to improve their standards, students can learn more. In addition, teachers should find the best ways of educating children. Without considering standards as a parameter, teachers should concentrate how they are helpful to the students. Along with textbooks teachers should add practical examples to their lesson. Student should not feel burdened to learn.

Work Cited
    Kohn, Alfie, “Confusing Harder with Better”, In Guidelines: A Cross Cultural Reading/Writing Text. Ed.Ruth Spack. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. 121- 124.
    Holt, John, “School Is Bad for Children”, In New Directions: Reading, Writing and Critical Thinking. Ed. Peter S. Gardner. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008.59-63.
    Hirsch, Eric Donald, “Teach Knowledge, Not “Mental Skills” ”, In Guidelines: A Cross Cultural Reading/Writing Text. Ed.Ruth Spack. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. 115- 116.
    Last edited by krishnau; 25-Nov-2009 at 20:41.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krishnau View Post
    In the essay,” Confusing Harder with Better”, Alfie Kohn shows his dissatisfaction towards the current educational system. He protests against “raising the bar”. That is, in the name of raising standards, teachers are making children study for tests. He says,” These days almost anything can be done to students and to schools, no matters how ill-considered, as long as it is done in the name of raising standards. As a result, we are facing a situation in this country [USA] that can be described without exaggeration as an educational emergency: The intellectual life is being squeezed out of classrooms, schools are being turned into giant test-prep centers“(p.121)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast