• American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

• Post Thanks / Like

Pronunciation of CNN News and BBC News

Hi all,

Currently, I am trying to improve my listening skill and learn a correct pronunciation of English, so I download CNN news and BBC news podcasts to listen everyday, I was wondering if it is a best way to do it, do you have other suggestions? Thanks.

Regards,

William

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pronunciation of CNN News and BBC News

Currently, I am trying to improve my listening skill and learn a correct pronunciation of English, so I download CNN news and BBC news podcasts to listen everyday, I was wondering if it is a best way to do it, do you have other suggestions?

Currently, I am trying to improve my listening skills and learn a the correct pronunciation of English, so I download CNN news and BBC news podcasts to listen to everyday,. I was wondering if it is/it's a the best way to do it,. Do you have any other suggestions?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yiuho View Post
    Hi all,

Currently, I am trying to improve my listening skill and learn a correct pronunciation of English, so I download CNN news and BBC news podcasts to listen everyday, I was wondering if it is a best way to do it, do you have other suggestions? Thanks.

Regards,

William
    Absolutely !

In my opinion this is one of the best ways to improve one's listening skills.
    Indeed the two sources you mentioned are pretty good, and you have also the opportunity to compare the AmE and BrE accents.

I also recommend voa (News | English) which has some good audio news with the transcription, so you may use the transcripted texts to study some words you eventually are not able to catch by listening.

Finally there are other sources of news in English with different accents available on the internet, see for instance News.com.au Top stories | News from Australia and around the world online | News.com.au for AuE and www.sabcnews.com for SAE.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Currently, I am trying to improve my listening skill and learn a correct pronunciation of English, so I download CNN news and BBC news podcasts to listen everyday, I was wondering if it is a best way to do it, do you have other suggestions?

Currently, I am trying to improve my listening skills and learn a the correct pronunciation of English, so I download CNN news and BBC news podcasts to listen to everyday,. I was wondering if it is/it's a the best way to do it,. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Thank you very much for your corrections. I understand I have so many mistakes in my written english...please remind me all the time.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

I recommend PBS news from the US, it's much more honest than CNN.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I recommend PBS news from the US, it's much more honest than CNN.
    Thanks....I heard that before....CNN is government's mouth, always filter the news before telling to the people.....

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

No, that's CCTV in China. CNN is more of a ... well, Right-Wing Establishment Elitist's mouth. Kind of the same thing, I guess. It's what a few Ultra-Rich Americans want the masses of dupes to think, so they keep electing cronies that keep defending only the Ultra-Rich and their interests. It's American democracy at its best. Quite lovely, really!