Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pronunciation of Britain,Manhantan, Forgotten...

    Hi All Native English Speakers,

    I wanted to know how would you pronounce the following words:
    In my country, most of people would pronounce "Brit tain", "Manhan tan", "Forgot ten", that means the last syllable would stick with "t", as I heard CNN,BBC or english movies, most of native speakers saying these kind of words in the last syllable would pronounce "en" only without sticking the "t" sound....please advise.

    William

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pronunciation of Britain,Manhantan, Forgotten...

    Hard sounds like t are often sofened by regional accents.

    It is common to "drop" ts out of words all together.

    So butter becomes Bu - er

    And Ticket becomes Ticke'

    I often say Forgo-un instead of forgot-ten

    also Brit-un, and Manha-un

    That's a common middle British accent.

    Also No one says Bri-tain to sound like rain or pain.

    It's Brit-ten or Brit-tun or even Brit-tan
    Last edited by timjphillips; 24-Nov-2009 at 22:17. Reason: After thought

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pronunciation of Britain,Manhantan, Forgotten...

    Quote Originally Posted by timjphillips View Post
    Hard sounds like t are often sofened by regional accents.

    It is common to "drop" ts out of words all together.

    So butter becomes Bu - er

    And Ticket becomes Ticke'

    I often say Forgo-un instead of forgot-ten

    also Brit-un, and Manha-un

    That's a common middle British accent.

    Also No one says Bri-tain to sound like rain or pain.

    It's Brit-ten or Brit-tun or even Brit-tan
    Hi timjphillips, thanks a lot for your sharing. Any other native speakers can share your pronunciation of these words....I'd like to collect more and keep that in my mind....thanks

  4. #4
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pronunciation of Britain,Manhantan, Forgotten...

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi timjphillips, thanks a lot for your sharing. Any other native speakers can share your pronunciation of these words....I'd like to collect more and keep that in my mind....thanks
    Again, the /t/ is not entirely dropped - it's replaced by another kind of stop, further back in the throat, called a 'glottal stop' (or sometimes just 'a glottal' - a singer, for example might say something like 'Do you think I should separate those two words with a glottal?')

    The glottal stop is widespread, is typical - for example - of Estuary English, and is even finding its way into the speech of people known for using RP. I don't use it in a word like 'forgotten' (I explode the [t] nasally), but my sister does and my daughter does - so it's not necessarily a regional thing (although there are regional dialects where a glottalized /t/ is the norm).

    b

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pronunciation of Britain,Manhantan, Forgotten...

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Again, the /t/ is not entirely dropped - it's replaced by another kind of stop, further back in the throat, called a 'glottal stop' (or sometimes just 'a glottal' - a singer, for example might say something like 'Do you think I should separate those two words with a glottal?')

    The glottal stop is widespread, is typical - for example - of Estuary English, and is even finding its way into the speech of people known for using RP. I don't use it in a word like 'forgotten' (I explode the [t] nasally), but my sister does and my daughter does - so it's not necessarily a regional thing (although there are regional dialects where a glottalized /t/ is the norm).

    b

    Hi Bobk, I just searched the youtube which teaches the glottal stop, you may take a look and let me know if she teaches correctly? Thanks.

    YouTube - Lesson 14 - Glottal Stop - English Pronunciation

  6. #6
    raindoctor is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Kenya
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pronunciation of Britain,Manhantan, Forgotten...

    the vowel between t and n get deleted. Here /t/ is not released.

    Here you go:

    YouTube - American Accent Advanced Lesson

  7. #7
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pronunciation of Britain,Manhantan, Forgotten...

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Bobk, I just searched the youtube which teaches the glottal stop, you may take a look and let me know if she teaches correctly? Thanks.

    YouTube - Lesson 14 - Glottal Stop - English Pronunciation
    I haven't watched it all; it's teaching an American accent, which may well be what you want.

    In Br English, the glottal stop is less often used in the word 'fountain', and when it is, the unstressed syllable is different - /ɪn/. (There are other differences, involving something called 'nasal plosion' - which you might want to look up - but that's the main one.)

    b

Similar Threads

  1. Pronunciation of the sound "ae"
    By yangmuye in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2009, 16:32
  2. The best 5 websites to practice pronunciation
    By joshdowning in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-May-2009, 15:47
  3. The Pronunciation Rules and The Writing System
    By M.Mozaffary in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2009, 23:27
  4. standard british pronunciation
    By fobos3 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2008, 17:22
  5. Better ways to teach pronunciation.
    By elbe in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2007, 05:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •