• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bygone/flit away/little-regarded truth/kick back/tos so's cares away/germane/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The point of view in which this tale comes under the Romantic definition lies in the attempt to connect a bygone time with the very present that is flitting away from us.

bygone = well in the past; former

flit = move along rapidly and lightly

flit away = fly by

Hence, too, might be drawn a weighty lesson from the little-regarded truth, that the act of the passing generation is the germ which may and must produce good or evil fruit in a far-distant time.

little-regarded truth = little respected truth

It’s time to kick on back, toss your cares away.

kick back = to take it easy; relax

toss your cares away = to not think about your problems

The phrase would be more germane to the matter.

This text is not germane to our subject.

An amendment must be germane.

germane = relevant

And flaming ministers to watch and tend their earthly charge; of these the vigilance I dread

vigilance = the quality or state of being vigilant; forbearance of sleep; wakefulness

I suffer from insomnia.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: bygone/flit away/little-regarded truth/kick back/tos so's cares away/germane/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The point of view in which this tale comes under the Romantic definition lies in the attempt to connect a bygone time with the very present that is flitting away from us.

bygone = well in the past; former Ok

flit = move along rapidly and lightly

flit away = fly by Ok The ballet dancer flits away like a bird.

Hence, too, might be drawn a weighty lesson from the little-regarded truth, that the act of the passing generation is the germ which may and must produce good or evil fruit in a far-distant time.

little-regarded truth = little respected truth Ok Some matters little regarded by others, can be very important to us.

It’s time to kick on back, toss your cares away.

kick back = to take it easy; relax Ok While swimming, when you kick on your back, you don't have to worry about air.

toss your cares away = to not think about your problems=forget everything for a moment
    So toss your cares away and feel the pleasure of running barefoot on the sand.
    The phrase would be more germane to the matter.

This text is not germane to our subject.

An amendment must be germane.

germane = relevant Ok Please keep your statements germane to the issue.

And flaming ministers to watch and tend their earthly charge; of these the vigilance I dread This is an extract from John Milton’s “Paradise Lost”, but I can not make out as to what this refers to.

vigilance = the quality or state of being vigilant; forbearance of sleep; wakefulness

I suffer from insomnia. It is a disease of sleeplessness.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    SKP