• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Euphemism for 'textbooks'

I'm writing this technical paper and have to repeat 'textbooks' for a lot of times throughout the paper. Basically what I want to present in this paper is an intepretation of issues not adequately discussed in textbooks in my field by drawing together fragmented knowledge and my own methods as well. But by repeating 'textbooks' for so many times it feels like this is not a serious, formal technical study but rather an kindergarten class project report.

Then I decided to replace some of the 'textbooks' with 'academic sources' , but I'm just not sure if this works, or if there are other better alternatives to 'academic sources'. It is very important that no ambiguity is created, people who read this paper need to instantly understand that I'm talking about textbooks without mentioning 'textbooks' everywhere.

Any help would be appreciated, but please note the context of this question is formal, technical writing meant for professional publication, so any non-formal writing alternative would not work.

Thanks in advance.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Euphemism for 'textbooks'

Okay, but if you're writing an academic paper, style does not come before substance. Define what you mean by the term, and then use it when you need it. You can then move on to "such texts," "these texts," "such pedagogical sources," "such andragogical sources" (rare), the latter, these, such books, etc.

Spetsnaz26 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Okay, but if you're writing an academic paper, style does not come before substance. Define what you mean by the term, and then use it when you need it. You can then move on to "such texts," "these texts," "such pedagogical sources," "such andragogical sources" (rare), the latter, these, such books, etc.
    Thank you. What I'm worried about is the very use of the word 'textbooks'. In all the papers I've read, I have never come across one with extensive reference to textbooks. Supposedly textbooks are meant for kids and not good enough to base research on. Although I disagree with this view and am able to support my opinion with examples, I still wish to limit the use of the word 'textbooks' in the hope that reviewers don't develop the impression that this paper is written by a kid, based on kids' textbooks and for other kids who haven't become 'professional' enough to get rid of textbooks.

Incidentally, I've tried using 'texts' instead of 'textbooks' in my draft. I've got this intuition that these two are interchangeable in this context. Is this correct?

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be. But you should be worrying about your research, your results, more than style. It seems you're afraid to be repetitive. It's easy to adopt the terminology of the exact field; you can even introduce an acronym if necessary.

In EFL teaching literature, I see "coursebook" more frequently than textbook. It is also more accurate (unless it's actually an anthology of texts).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnaz26 View Post
    I'm writing this technical paper and have to repeat 'textbooks' for a lot of times throughout the paper. Basically what I want to present in this paper is an intepretation of issues not adequately discussed in textbooks in my field by drawing together fragmented knowledge and my own methods as well. But by repeating 'textbooks' for so many times it feels like this is not a serious, formal technical study but rather an kindergarten class project report.

Then I decided to replace some of the 'textbooks' with 'academic sources' , but I'm just not sure if this works, or if there are other better alternatives to 'academic sources'. It is very important that no ambiguity is created, people who read this paper need to instantly understand that I'm talking about textbooks without mentioning 'textbooks' everywhere.

Any help would be appreciated, but please note the context of this question is formal, technical writing meant for professional publication, so any non-formal writing alternative would not work.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi!

What about synonyms: publication, handbook, compedium, manual, manuscript, volume, writing, edition.

Spetsnaz26 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omasta View Post
    Hi!

What about synonyms: publication, handbook, compedium, manual, manuscript, volume, writing, edition.
    But these are all potentially ambiguous and can mean completely different things.Thanks anyway.