Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 343
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    How to say someone jumped out from the building for suicide.

    Hi All,

    I'd like to know how to say in idiomatic English expression, someone jumped out from the building for suicide....

    WYH

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: How to say someone jumped out from the building for suicide.

    You'll see 'leap' used- people leap from buildings, bridges, etc.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 143
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: How to say someone jumped out from the building for suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi All,

    I'd like to know how to say in idiomatic English expression, someone jumped out from the building for suicide....

    WYH
    Hi!

    There are some expressions:

    He jumped to his death.
    He took his life.
    He made away with himself.

  1. ilovepsycho's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 90
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: How to say someone jumped out from the building for suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by omasta View Post
    Hi!

    There are some expressions:

    He jumped to his death.
    He took his life.
    He made away with himself.

    The questioner seems not to intend to be told those kinds of explanations you have written. He or she says about the suicide by leaping from a building, a bridge, etc.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 143
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: How to say someone jumped out from the building for suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepsycho View Post
    The questioner seems not to intend to be told those kinds of explanations you have written. He or she says about the suicide by leaping from a building, a bridge, etc.
    I'm not quite sure whether there is a special idiom. I think that you have to adopt the existing one to the situation of jumping/leaping to one's death from a building, bridge, etc.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: How to say someone jumped out from the building for suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by omasta View Post
    I'm not quite sure whether there is a special idiom. I think that you have to adopt the existing one to the situation of jumping/leaping to one's death from a building, bridge, etc.
    I don't think there is. The suicide is assumed if the verb implies volition:

    He was thrown off a bridge => murder
    He fell off a bridge => accident
    He threw himself off a bridge => suicide

    b

Similar Threads

  1. building my house.
    By bouji in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Oct-2009, 07:45
  2. the contents of the building
    By Daruma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2009, 06:20
  3. work on building on what you're used to
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2008, 22:28
  4. Red Education Building
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2007, 15:16
  5. building and interesting
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Jul-2007, 20:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •