Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
1. I would like to propose a toast to my kid sister.(to celebrate her birth day)
propose a toast to = raise up a glass of wine at a meal and say kind words about somebody= There are occasions when you want to say a few words to commemorate a person or event, but you don't want to give a speech. At such times, consider proposing a toast.
kid sister = younger sister
2. How amazing! One day you order take out, and it changes your life.
order take out = ask a restaurant for food to be eaten at home=There are specific restaurants which receive Order Take Out and have it delivered home.
3. Destiny is something we’ve invented because we can’t stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental. Ok
can’t stand = thoroughly dislike; be unable to put up with something or someone Ok
4. I knew your father and I were going to have a wonderful time in the sack.
in the sack = go to sleep, go to bed (this idiom alludes to a sleeping bag as well as to have sex with someone, in the present case “with the father”)= It can be related to sack race. Boys enjoy the fun in the sack.
5. We had a pretty tough time there, at first, but we’re dealing with it.= We had a pretty tough time dealing with these problems
have a pretty tough time = have a lot of serious problems and difficulties
to deal with it = to accept it or perhaps to learn to try and work with it
Thank you for your efforts.
- For Teachers