• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default propose a toast/kid sister/order take out/can't stand/in the sack/tough time/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

1. I would like to propose a toast to my kid sister.

propose a toast to = raise up a glass of wine at a meal and say kind words about somebody

kid sister = younger sister

2. How amazing! One day you order take out, and it changes your life.

order take out = ask a restaurant for food to be eaten at home

3. Destiny is something we’ve invented because we can’t stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental.

can’t stand = thoroughly dislike; be unable to put up with something or someone

4. I knew your father and I were going to have a wonderful time in the sack.

in the sack = go to sleep, go to bed (this idiom alludes to a sleeping bag as well as to have sex withsomeone, in the present case “with the father”)

5. We had a pretty tough time there, at first, but we’re dealing with it.

have a pretty tough time = have a lot of serious problems and difficulties

to deal with it = to accept it or perhaps to learn to try and work with it

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: propose a toast/kid sister/order take out/can't stand/in the sack/tough time/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    1. I would like to propose a toast to my kid sister.(to celebrate her birth day)

propose a toast to = raise up a glass of wine at a meal and say kind words about somebody= There are occasions when you want to say a few words to commemorate a person or event, but you don't want to give a speech. At such times, consider proposing a toast.

order take out = ask a restaurant for food to be eaten at home=There are specific restaurants which receive Order Take Out and have it delivered home.

3. Destiny is something we’ve invented because we can’t stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental. Ok

can’t stand = thoroughly dislike; be unable to put up with something or someone Ok

in the sack = go to sleep, go to bed (this idiom alludes to a sleeping bag as well as to have sex with someone, in the present case “with the father”)= It can be related to sack race. Boys enjoy the fun in the sack.

5. We had a pretty tough time there, at first, but we’re dealing with it.= We had a pretty tough time dealing with these problems

Regards,

V.
    Skp

pyoung is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: propose a toast/kid sister/order take out/can't stand/in the sack/tough time/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

1. I would like to propose a toast to my kid sister.

propose a toast to = raise up a glass of wine at a meal and say kind words about somebody

order take out = ask a restaurant for food to be eaten at home

3. Destiny is something we’ve invented because we can’t stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental.

can’t stand = thoroughly dislike; be unable to put up with something or someone

in the sack = go to sleep, go to bed (this idiom alludes to a sleeping bag as well as to have sex withsomeone, in the present case “with the father”)

5. We had a pretty tough time there, at first, but we’re dealing with it.

Regards,

V.
    Dear vil:

Nicely done! Your sentences sound quite natural. I have just one comment: 'in the sack' may have originally referred to a sleeping bag, but almost never does now. 'To have a great time in the sack' with someone means to have enjoyable sex with them.

Petra