Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hi,

The context say...

Somewhere, as you read, the secret to which I refer will jump from the page and stand boldly before you, IF YOU ARE READY FOR IT! When it appears, you will
recognize it. Whether you receive the sign in the first or the last chapter, stop for a moment when it presents itself, and turn down a glass, for that occasion will mark the most important turning-point of your life.

What does "turn down a glass" in this context mean? Just put down a glass (of water)? Very confused! Please help!

:roll:

Marylin

beeja said:
Hi,

The context say...

Somewhere, as you read, the secret to which I refer will jump from the page and stand boldly before you, IF YOU ARE READY FOR IT! When it appears, you will
recognize it. Whether you receive the sign in the first or the last chapter, stop for a moment when it presents itself, and turn down a glass, for that occasion will mark the most important turning-point of your life.

What does "turn down a glass" in this context mean? Just put down a glass (of water)? Very confused! Please help!

:roll:

I am not sure...I am thinking about an hourglass and maybe it stands for turning it meaning starting something new ?= turning the corner? =passing a milestone?

Marylin

It might also be a figure of speech...you trurn down a glass as an indication that you don't wish to have it filled again. Perhaps that's what it means...it's time to say stop to one thing in favor of something else that's more important.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Like an alcoholic saying no to a drink for the first time????? :)

Last edited:

Marylin

tdol said:
Like an alcoholic saying no to a drink for the first time????? :)

Well, that's crossed my mind as well. Good one! We must be getting closer...

:lol:

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
In memory of a drinking companion who has passed away, it is customary to turn down (= turn upside down) a glass (representing his/hers) on the table the next time you go drinking, and pause a moment to remember him/her.

Thus, 'turn down a glass' = stop for a moment of thought.

Last edited:

Marylin

Mister Micawber said:
In memory of a drinking companion who has passed away, it is customary to turn down (= turn upside down) a glass (representing his/hers) on the table the next time you go drinking, and pause a moment to remember him/her.

Thus, 'turn down a glass' = stop for a moment of thought.

Thanks, MM! That's pretty interesting. Never heard that one before...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Mr Micawber is a great source of such language points. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.