Thread: finding words

zahara is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default finding words

I have a big problem since I cannot find words in my mind that would suit the gaps in the following sentences. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me finding appropriate words...

1.There is one serious ___e_____ against hiring him: he cannot speak Czech.
    2.The new ship is almost ready. It will be __u_____ next week.
    3.The unusual _ _ _ d _ _ _ _ of several last winters has made many of us forget what it is like to be shivering with cold at a bus stop.
    4. . Could we move the meeting to Thursday or Friday? On Wednesday it would
    _ _ t _ _ _ _ _ _ with my trip to Bristol.
    5. Everything has been recorded on tape so it is possible to make a ___n______ of the part of the conversation that interests you.
    6.The reconstruction of the plant is technically _ e ______ but seems to make little sense economically, as even before the fire it was lacking money.
    7. . Because of his _ _ f ________ complex he tends to avoid real competition.
    8. The mob attacking the synagogue was aroused by the _ _ t _ _ _ for Jews.
    9. The _ _ r _ _ _ is the part of a nut that can be eaten.
    10. The true __i _ _____ leader of that small community was the ayatollah.
    11.Oscar Wilde was no _ _ n_________ of Byron.
    12. Helicopters do not need runways because they take off __r_______.

5. All you need is your driving licence; no _ _ d _ _ _ _ _ _ _ document is required.
    7. After Tim Locke's resignation, there's bound to be a strong contest for the

_ _ a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ of the party at its next congress.
    8. Let's give Grandad a bottle of cognac, _ _ _ f _ _ _ _ _ _ Camus or Henessy.
    10. They've had more than their fair _ _ _ _ _ of hard work on this project, so now let them take a rest.
    11. Tina's _ _ k _ _ _ _ _ to her older sister is quite extraordinary; you could almost take them for identical twins.
    18. They've remained on friendly terms after the split. She sometimes calls him

_ _ k _ _ _ _ _ her honorary boyfriend.
    19. The list strikes me as incomplete; among the most important _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ are Lord Baker and Ken Smith, whose absence will raise many adverse comments.
    20. In her fear of gaining weight, she carefully avoids all foods which she thinks to be

_ _ t _ _ _ _ _ _; as a result, she eats little else but vegetable salads.
    23. The earthquake completely destroyed the electricity pylon, which was now a shapeless pile of _ _ _ s _ _ _ metal and broken cables.
    24. Despite appeals for _ _ i _ _ , the secessionists walked away from the congress and formed a separate party.
    25. I found his _ _ g _ _ _ _ _ _ to make new acquaintances after his wife's death somewhat embarrassing.
    29. He was insulted by the attackers but, contrary to what the papers said, suffered no

_ _ d _ _ _ harm.

crclee is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: finding words

Quote Originally Posted by zahara View Post
    I have a big problem since I cannot find words in my mind that would suit the gaps in the following sentences. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me finding appropriate words...

1.There is one serious ___e_____ against hiring him: he cannot speak Czech.

SNIP
    Hi

This looks like a homework assignment, so here is some general advice:

1. Using a collocations dictionary would probably help you find some of these answers.
    2. Thinking about what part of speech is missing from each sentence will limit the number of likely choices.
    3. Ignoring the given letter in the blank may help you come up with some possible answers and synonyms for those answers might be the "correct" one.

(For what it's worth, this looks like a poorly-designed exercise to me. If this is for homework, perhaps you could ask your teacher for some additional sentences with the same missing words blanked out: the more context you have, the more likely you are to be able to answer.)

I hope this helps.