Elator is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Adopt a law or the law?

Hello everyone!

I've recently gotten into an argument at a translator's forum. There was a sentence:

The Parliament adopted the Law "On Social Protection" which was later approved by the President -

I said that it would be more preferabale to use - adopt a law - thus using the indefinitie article, although the spesific law is meant here. My argument was that - adopt a law - was sort of a collocation and for this reason, adopt a law - should be used.

We're still arguing. Google gives both versions. Is there a native speaker around here who could resolve the issue? I would be really happy if someone could give me more insight into this.

The question is: Which is more preferable to use in the sentence I quoted above? Adopted the or adopted a law?

Thank you in advance.

albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adopt a law or the law?

Quote Originally Posted by Elator View Post
    Hello everyone!

I've recently gotten into an argument at a translator's forum. There was a sentence:

The Parliament adopted the Law "On Social Protection" which was later approved by the President -

I said that it would be more preferabale to use - adopt a law - thus using the indefinitie article, although the spesific law is meant here. My argument was that - adopt a law - was sort of a collocation and for this reason, adopt a law - should be used.

We're still arguing. Google gives both versions. Is there a native speaker around here who could resolve the issue? I would be really happy if someone could give me more insight into this.

The question is: Which is more preferable to use in the sentence I quoted above? Adopted the or adopted a law?

Thank you in advance.
    (Not a teacher)
    The law is preferable.
    The law is an appositive of "On Social Protection" that follows.
    To paraphrase, the expression can be written as " The law which is on Social Protection" and the "which clause" makes the preceding noun specific.