• Post Thanks / Like

Who / Whom/ Them

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...15_191237_6216

Are these correct? What do they mean?
    1. Pulman isn't talking, his family, some of whom knew he was alive, isn't cooperating and he is now out on bail awaiting his next court date. (How come 'whom' is not 'them' ? Some=more than one person. So why isn't it 'them' insteand of 'whom' ?

What do theses mean:
    2. Pulman isn't talking, his family, some of whom knew he was alive, isn't cooperating and he is now out on bail awaiting his next court date.
    3. Pulman isn't talking, his family, some of them knew he was alive, isn't cooperating and he is now out on bail awaiting his next court date.

Thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who / Whom/ Them

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...15_191237_6216

1. Pulman isn't talking, his family, some of whom knew he was alive, isn't cooperating and he is now out on bail awaiting his next court date. (How come 'whom' is not 'them' ? Some=more than one person. So why isn't it 'them' insteand of 'whom' ?

What do theses mean:
    2. Pulman isn't talking, his family, some of whom knew he was alive, isn't cooperating and he is now out on bail awaiting his next court date.
    3. Pulman isn't talking, his family, some of them knew he was alive, isn't cooperating and he is now out on bail awaiting his next court date.

Thanks.

I think the first sentence must be with "them"

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who / Whom/ Them

1. Pulman isn't talking, his family, some of whom knew he was alive, isn't cooperating and he is now out on bail awaiting his next court date. (How come 'whom' is not 'them' ? Some=more than one person. So why isn't it 'them' instead of 'whom' ? >>> It's because 'whom' refers back to family and is mentionned in a relative clause:
    Pulman isn't talking to his family, some of whom knew....(relative clause)
    Pulman isn't talking to his family. Some of them knew (new sentence)

Other examples:
    (from formal to less formal):
    The guys to whom I talked to last time.
    = The guys who I talked to last night.
    = The guys I talked to last night.

The guys I talked with, one of whom is a doctor, are very nice.
    The guys I talked with are very nice. One of them is a doctor.