Results 1 to 10 of 10

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    hanky is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default continue to do or continue doing?

    Do we use "continue to do" or "continue doing"?
    I made a google search and it seems to be the former but I am still unsure.
    Could you also make a sentence using "continue to do" or "continue doing"?

    Thanks so much.

  2. #2
    greegorush is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: continue to do or continue doing?

    They are both correct. And I believe that you can use them both interchangeably in all sentences.

    It'll continue to rain.
    It'll continue raining.

    If not, I'd like to hear the exception.

  3. #3
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: continue to do or continue doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Do we use "continue to do" or "continue doing"?
    I made a google search and it seems to be the former but I am still unsure.
    Could you also make a sentence using "continue to do" or "continue doing"?

    Thanks so much.
    Some verbs like continue, begin, love etc. can accept either an inifinitive or 'ing' form without appreciable change in meaning. So you can use both. To be sure, visit the site: Infinitive or -ing?

  4. #4
    hanky is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: continue to do or continue doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    Some verbs like continue, begin, love etc. can accept either an inifinitive or 'ing' form without appreciable change in meaning. So you can use both. To be sure, visit the site: Infinitive or -ing?

    Which one is more common? Google points out that it is "continue to do".
    Thanks

  5. #5
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: continue to do or continue doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Which one is more common? Google points out that it is "continue to do".
    Thanks
    I don't think one is more common than the other.

  6. #6
    hanky is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: continue to do or continue doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I don't think one is more common than the other.
    So how comes the result of google search for "continue to do" is much much much bigger than the one of the "continue doing"??? (660.000.000 vs 283.000)

  7. #7
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: continue to do or continue doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    So how comes the result of google search for "continue to do" is much much much bigger than the one of the "continue doing"??? (660.000.000 vs 283.000)
    I get 99 700 000 for "continue doing" and 325 000 000for "continue to do". I have no idea why, perhaps "continue to do" is more common globally. From my experience I wouldn't have thought so.

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] Can Google continue to scale with the internet?
    By JJZM in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2009, 12:24
  2. remain subjected to VS continue to be subjected to
    By majid72 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Feb-2009, 19:12
  3. to continue to offer or to continue offering
    By Bushwhacker in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2008, 21:16
  4. 'go on' and 'continue'
    By enydia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2008, 06:03
  5. Continue + infinitive or ing
    By micaelo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2008, 17:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •