• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking (About Twelfth Night) Could someone please help me with my short essay?

Hello, thank you for helping me. My teacher asked the class to write a formal essay about the following question: "Did Malvolio deserve what the other characters did to him".

I'm in high school and this is one of my first essay in my English class. It was very specific, 5 paragraph, 500 words essay. I was wondering if someone could please take a look at this, any suggestions would be greatly thanked.

In a world where fun and good cheer is so desired, very few people are willing to be the party pooper. Shakespeare’s plays are widely known around the world for his tragedies, comedies, and histories. Sometimes however in the name of comedy some of the characters are treated harshly, none though as harsh as what Malvolio had to suffer. Twelfth Night demonstrates how much torture one must suffer to play the role of the noble. Malvolio was chosen by Shakespeare to be the symbol of responsibility and order. Some would suggest Malvolio did not deserve the treat he received because he is very classy, is responsible, and keeps his personal life to himself.

Malvolio is a very responsible man. The audience can see this in scenes where many of the other characters abandoned their responsibility. Through thick and thin Malvolio has always been responsible.
    “My masters, are you mad? Or what are you? Have you no wit, manners, nor honestly but to gabble like tinkers at this time of night?”- Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene III, Lines 81-84
    In this particular scene, Sir Toby and his group were making a lot of noise in the middle of the night. Even a worker within the house Maria joins in the fun. Malvolio could have also enjoyed himself, but he knew that the responsible action to take is to by any means possible eliminate the noise. Some might debate this scene is where Malvolio truly stands out in his sense of responsibility from the other characters. This is one of the reasons Malvolio did not deserve the treatment that he faced from the others because he was one of the only people keeping peace in Olivia’s household.

Malvolio is a very a very classy character. The audience can see this in his very professional manner and his extensive vocabulary. “Not yet old enough for a man, nor young enough for a boy; as a squash is before ‘tis a peascod, or a codling when ‘tis almost in standing water” – Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, Act 1, Scene 5, Lines 150-153. Although Malvolio is mocking the mysterious man at the door, he does it in a way of class using metaphors and witty humor. This was another reason Malvolio didn’t deserve what he received from the others because for a classy man like him it is pure torture to be locked up.

Malvolio keeps his personal life to himself. This is very different from some of the characters such as Sir Toby who is always getting in other people’s business or the Duke who sends his workers to bother Olivia. “Tis but good fortune. Maria once told me she did affect me; and I have heard herself come thus near, that, should she fancy, it should be one of my complexion. Besides, she uses me with a more exalted respect than anyone else that follows her. What should I think on’t?”- Shakespeare, Act II, Scene 5, Lines 21-25. In the quote above Malvolio is talking to himself out by the garden. He knows and separates his own secret desires from his professional life. In contract, Sir Toby likes to express everything out loud. “…board her, assail her, assail her” – Twelfth Night, Act 1, Scene 5, Lines 53-54. Malvolio like any of the characters has secret desires, but he respects everyone enough to keep his personal life personal. This is many would argue another valid reason why he didn’t deserve the harsh treatment from the other characters.

Malvolio is a very noble character who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is very classy, is responsible, and keeps his personal life to himself as seen in the play. Therefore some would suggest Malvolio did not deserve the treat he received because he is very classy, is responsible, and keeps his personal life to himself.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: (About Twelfth Night) Could someone please help me with my short essay?

Quote Originally Posted by frankjohnli View Post

In a world where fun and good cheer is so desired, very few people are willing to be the party pooper. Shakespeare’s plays is are widely known around the world for his tragedies, comedies, and histories. Sometimes however in the name of comedy some of the characters are treated harshly, none though as harshly as what Malvolio had to suffer.
    That's an opinion you could only give if you've read all the comedies and know how all the characters are treated. It sounds very much like a sentence you got from somewhere else.

Twelfth Night demonstrates how much torture one must suffer to play the role of the noble. Malvolio was chosen by Shakespeare to be the symbol of responsibility and order. Some would suggest Malvolio did not deserve the treatment he received because he is very classy, is responsible, and keeps his personal life to himself.
    I must have read a different play.

Malvolio is a very responsible man. The audience can see this in scenes where many of the other characters abandoned their responsibility. Through thick and thin Malvolio has always been responsible.
    “My masters, are you mad? Or what are you? Have you no wit, manners, nor honestly but to gabble like tinkers at this time of night?” (Act II, Scene III, Lines 81-84) or (II: III, 81-84)
    It's obvious what play you're referring to, but if your teacher told you to write it out fully, then do so - but only for the first quote).

In this particular scene, Sir Toby and his group were making a lot of noise in the middle of the night. Even a worker within the house Maria joins in the fun. Malvolio could have also enjoyed himself, but he knew that the responsible action to take is to by any means possible eliminate the noise. Some might debate this scene is where Malvolio truly stands out in his sense of responsibility from the other characters. This is one of the reasons Malvolio did not deserve the treatment that he faced from the others because he was one of the only people keeping peace in Olivia’s household.
    "one of the only people" does not make sense. (It never makes sense). I think you mean "the only person". If there were others, you can use "one of the few people".

Malvolio is a very a very classy character. The audience can see this in his very professional manner and his extensive vocabulary. “Not yet old enough for a man, nor young enough for a boy; as a squash is before ‘tis a peascod, or a codling when ‘tis almost in standing water” – Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, (Act 1, Scene 5, Lines 150-153.) Although Malvolio is mocking the mysterious man at the door, he does it in a way of class using metaphors and witty humor. This was another reason Malvolio didn’t deserve what he received from the others because for a classy man like him it is pure torture to be locked up.

Malvolio keeps his personal life to himself. This is very different from some of the characters such as Sir Toby who is always getting in other people’s business or the Duke who sends his workers to bother Olivia. “Tis but good fortune. Maria once told me she did affect me; and I have heard herself come thus near, that, should she fancy, it should be one of my complexion. Besides, she uses me with a more exalted respect than anyone else that follows her. What should I think on’t?”- Shakespeare, Act II, Scene 5, Lines 21-25. In the quote above Malvolio is talking to himself out by the garden. He knows and separates his own secret desires from his professional life. In contract, Sir Toby likes to express everything out loud. “…board her, assail her, assail her” – Twelfth Night, Act 1, Scene 5, Lines 53-54. Malvolio like any of the characters has secret desires, but he respects everyone enough to keep his personal life personal. This is many would argue another valid reason why he didn’t deserve the harsh treatment from the other characters.

Malvolio is a very noble character who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is very classy, is responsible, and keeps his personal life to himself as seen in the play. Therefore some would suggest Malvolio did not deserve the treat he received. because he is very classy, is responsible, and keeps his personal life to himself. You've just said that.
    Your reading of Malvolio's character is unusual and non-traditional.
    His Confucian virtues do not fit well into the Elizabethan England of Shakespeare, or into the play. But you have argued your opinion consistently.

frankjohnli is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: (About Twelfth Night) Could someone please help me with my short essay?

Thank you