AllHallowsGhost is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Personal Statement for University in the UK

Dear members,
    I'm from Germany and I'm currently in the process of applying for 11 Unis in the UK. I want to study as an occasional student, it will be only one semester. The subject I want to study at all the unis I apply to is English. I've written a first draft of my personal statement but I am not sure whether it is good or...maybe even really bad. Could you please read through it and give me some assistance?
    I would be very very grateful. I really want one of the 11 Unis to accept me, I love the UK.
    Thanks in advance!

Ever since I attended secondary school, I was fascinated with foreign languages. I really enjoyed learning English, French and Spanish at school, I took private Japanese lessons and I never found it hard to study for them, nor did I have any problems with learning the vocabulary. For this reason, it was clear to me right from the beginning that my future academic career will be focused on learning and improving languages and enrolling in courses that were as international as possible. For me, a period of study abroad was bound to be a part of these courses.
    Aiming to earn my Bachelor’s degree in “Language and Communication” now, I have already obtained a profound knowledge in linguistics as well as deepened my skills in English, French and Chinese. I really enjoy this kind of studies as they cover a variety of different aspects, being both cosmopolitan and interpersonal, yet academically demanding. Furthermore my current course offers a wide range of employment possibilities. Although I have not specialized on a certain job yet, I see my area of work in fields of communication, journalism, media. Practical works, such as teaching pupils in English and German, work experiences in an advertising agency, as well as publishing photography work, have strengthened my desire to find my later work in these fields. A perfect command of the English language is therefore essential.
    As I consider pursuing my further academic, and maybe even personal career in the UK, not only the language improvement is an important benefit. Living abroad on my own will equip me with a certain level of autonomy which is surely invaluable for a life in the UK. Furthermore, as the University of Wolverhampton stands for tradition – but at the same time for internationalism with a high rate of abroad students – and the chance to spend a semester at you institution will bring me in contact with many other individuals, from Great Britain and all over the world. I will obtain experience in dealing with all kinds of different people and cultures. To me, international experience is a ‘must’ in today’s globalized world.
    Aside from academic studies, I enjoy a variety of pursuits. These include painting, sculpting, learning languages, reading and travelling. Visits to the US and the UK have set my heart on the Anglophone countries. Holidays spent in various cities of England and Scotland have given me both insight into the everyday life of the British and the opportunity to get to know and even become friends with some of the people I met. Reflected in frequent stays at their houses, the established friendships have already given me a brief glimpse of the culture and made it possible for me to improve my English in a natural, unforced and effortless atmosphere. However, a longer stay in the United Kingdom would help me to learn about the culture in detail and to acquire an instincitive feel for the language.
    In addition, I am very fond of spending my time reading English literature, such as Shakespeare, but also more contemporary authors, like Nick Hornby, have aroused my admiration. “Macbeth” and “The Taming of the Shrew” rank amongst my most cherished books. This passion was also a point to consider when choosing the appropriate courses as I wish to broaden my knowledge in this area.
    Studying in the subject field “English and Writing” at the University of Wolverhampton would therefore provide a perfect complement to my studies here in Germany, as well as open a chance for me to participate in the courses as an active contributer, driven by my passion for the English laguage, literature and for the country itself. I will be able to develop my competences, moreover it would bring me forward regarding to my academic training in general. It will be possible for me to get to know a different culture, gain experience and give my studies an international character.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Personal Statement for University in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by AllHallowsGhost View Post

Ever since I attended secondary school, I have been fascinated with foreign languages. I really enjoyed learning English, French and Spanish at school, I took private Japanese lessons and I never found it hard to study for them, nor did I have any problems with learning the vocabulary. For this reason, it was clear to me right from the beginning that my future academic career will be focused on learning and improving languages and enrolling in courses that were as international as possible. For me, a period of study abroad was bound to be a part of these courses.
    A suggestion and a comment:
    Suggestion:
    Space between paragraphs.
    Comment:
    I don't think you can expect to improve upon the languages you study. (That's a bit overambitious, I think.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Personal Statement for University in the UK

I actually find your article very good. Ronbee has got a point, improving language is a bit overambitious ,not wrong though..:)