• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

• Post Thanks / Like

Shivaree - John 2:14

Hi all!

I want to translate song "John 2:14" by Shivaree. Lyrics, for example, here: http://www.lyricsdomain.com/19/shivaree/john_214.html.

I have some problems, maybe someone can help to explain, what does this sentenses mean?

1. The neighbourhood's littered with white gloves
    What "neighborhood's" mean in this case? Why white gloves? Some tradition?

2. I guess it's just the perfect time to send some roses / And touch their noses...
    touch their noses - ? Or this mean literally touch someone's nosses?

3. Swallow your red-hots /And order the fancy wine
    red-hots-? fancy wine - ?

4. You throw your rice / It feeds the mice.
    to feed the mice - ?

5. And it's always fun / To close up until they buy it
    close up until they buy it -?

Thanks for comments of any of this item's. Also, maybe someone can comment the song in whole?
    Last edited by RiTm; 22-Oct-2009 at 14:28.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shivaree - John 2:14

Hi :) I can help you with your question. I'm actually a HUGE Shivaree fan and have all their songs. This song is about Valentine's Day (the holiday that celebrates love and relationships). It is celebrated in the United States on February 14th. That is why the title is "John 2/14" (as month 2, day 14) and the name "john" is just a very common male name and that is why it is used as if it was a letter to him. I will explain the entire lyrics more detailed and if you have questions just post and i'll elaborate :) O.k here I go....

John 2/14
    It's so romantic
    The neighborhood's littered with white gloves * the word "littered" means that there are things scattered like trash but here its is NOT used literally. it just means that everybody in town is wearing white gloves.
    The flowers were hand picked
    They're taping up paper doves *these last two lines are just describing typical decorations for this holiday

And it's hard to think
    When everything's red and pink *most decorations are usually red,pink and sometimes white
    It's hard to eat
    When everything's sweet *this one is both literal (often people give out sweet treats to others) and metaphorical (sweet like love---sometimes when you're in love you can't eat because all you think about is that person)

I guess it's just the perfect time to send some roses *people normally send flowers to his/her love to be romantic
    And touch their noses*the word "touch" is not literal here. it means that the smell of the roses will make their noses smell romance and other good feelings. like a song that "touches" your heart. again, its NOT meant literally.
    And buy them things *buying your love a gift
    Because it's such a tender time for all the ladies *the perfect time/event
    With all those babies
    Wearing their wings* "babies with wings" means Cupid (the angel of love). it is thought that Cupid can shoot an arrow and make someone fall in love with you if you ask him to.

Could you be mine
    And hot-stuff and maybe and foxy and fine ?
    Swallow your red-hots*these last 3 lines are describing candy that is very typical on Valentines Day. they are small heart-shaped candy with messages on them such as "be mine", "red-hot", "foxy", "fine", "hot stuff" etc.
    check out a picture of these candies at google images by typing "vantines candy"

And order the fancy wine *wine is just a romantic drink so people will try to surprise his/her love with some wine to celebrate

And if you please
    Just bring me some honey I'll send for the bees *this is just telling him that she is willing to do something for him as well.
    You throw your rice *rice is usually used at weddings. when the bride and the groom come out of the church, people throw rice at them. i don't know the symbolism behind it but its tradition.
    It feeds the mice *this has to do with the rice tradition but i DO NOT know the meaning behind it. sorry :(

CHORUS

You've gotta run
    They hate it when you're too quiet *this is telling "john" that he needs to be talkative and charming because girls don't like a quiet guy.
    And it's always fun
    To close up until they buy it *this one is ONLY MY OPINION... I think it's talking about sex. it is thought that if you have sex with someone too soon, they won't want to further the relationship. there fore it's saying not to have sex with someone until they "buy it" which means marriage. if you buy something you're keeping it forever. it's a metaphor used in the USA.

CHORUS

Well.... There you go. to summarize it. its a song about Valentines Day and nothing more:)

Hope it hellps.
    Last edited by Shakimaro; 20-Nov-2009 at 19:18.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

• Post Thanks / Like

Shakimaro, great!

Thank's a lot!

• Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Shivaree - John 2:14

Yep, no problem :)

May i ask how you heard about this song? Shivaree is not a well-known band so i'm always curious as to how people came across them.

If you have any other questions or lyrics from them i'd be glad to help.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

• Post Thanks / Like

Why not well-known?
    I think "Goodnight moon" is very popular. And "John 2:14" I first hear in ad of Kenzo. Just after that I start to listen other songs. ))

• Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Shivaree - John 2:14

Goodnight moon came out in 1999 and it didn't get popular in the USA until 2004 in the soundtrack for the movie Kill Bill vol2 in 2004. That's a whole 5 years for a song to get heard. By the time Shivaree's FIRST single got heard Shivaree was releasing a 3rd album (that is sad). and even then the song has never got "real" air time on American radio. Remember that Shivaree is an American band and if it should be popular somewhere, logically you'd imagine that they'd be popular in the US but it's not the case. Shivaree is actually much more popular in Europe (where people are open-minded about music) especially in France, Italy and Spain. I have NEVER EVER heard Shivaree on the radio here in America EVER. I know you heard "john" on Kenzo and "goodnight.." was in a Spot Breil commercial but again, that was in europe. Sadly shivaree is just not as popular as i feel they should be. It is so that i can barely find any sites about them and found 0 active forum in english and worst of all about 95% of the iformation on their wikipedia page was added by ME. ha ha ha ha

Anyway, that's why i was curious as to how you hear of them.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

• Post Thanks / Like

After that info i much more surprised, that i found such a fan. )

Quote Originally Posted by Shakimaro
    95% of the iformation on their wikipedia page was added by ME.
    . Cool.

• Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. i guess you could call me a fan. ha ha ha

A friend of Ambrosia (Shivaree's singer) told me that Shivaree might have split up. Aparently Ambrosia is still working on the solo album that was to be released in 2008. It's not official but it looks as though she will concentrate in a solo career (and since the other two band members are in their 50s its less likely they will work together again).

At least Ambrosia won't disappear completely. I wish there was more information available but this is the great disadvantage of not being mainstream.

I'll hope for the best.

• Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a forum. i'll post the link soon....

• Post Thanks / Like

Here is a frorum that i've just created (on December 12, 2009) for Shivaree incase you're intrested. this is your special invitaion :)

Shivaree (band) • View forum - Your first forum

Hope to see you there.