Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 5,312
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #21

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    I am pretty sure that I never said that "wherefore" is a subjective complement. I can't imagine why I would have said that. It is an interrogative adverb and modifies the verb "art". The subjective complement, which in this case I call a predicate nominative is "Romeo".
    Maybe I didn't look back through the comments closely enough.
    Linguist Farmer
    A MILLION humble apologies. You did NOT say "wherefore" is a subjective complement.. You said the last "Romeo" was one (i.e., a predicate nominative). But the diagram clearly shows that the last "Romeo" is actually a noun in apposition with "thou" (or "you") = Thou (Romeo) are wherefore? Have I made yet another mistake?

  1. Frank Antonson's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,151
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #22

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    I think the diagram was not my work.
    In any case, I believe now that the sense of the sentence is diagrammed.
    Linguist Farmer

  2. Frank Antonson's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,151
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #23

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    Here's an easy one (from the Merchant of Venice):
    "Oh, hell, what have we here?"

  3. Frank Antonson's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,151
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #24

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    A literary device, which is missing from this site's glossary but which is prevalent in Shakespeare is "anastrophe" -- unusual word order. If its present is not acknowledged, Shakespearean quotes will be VERY hard to diagram.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #25

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    I am pretty sure that I never said that "wherefore" is a subjective complement. I can't imagine why I would have said that. It is an interrogative adverb and modifies the verb "art". The subjective complement, which in this case I call a predicate nominative is "Romeo".
    Maybe I didn't look back through the comments closely enough.
    Linguist Farmer
    I seriously doubt that anything in the Shakespeare quotation assumes the role of a predicate nominative.

  4. Frank Antonson's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,151
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #26

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    Are you sure that you understand what Juliet is asking?
    For native English speakers the big problem with this quote is that they think that Juliet is saying "Where are you, Romeo?" What she means is "Why are you a Montague?" Wouldn't you call "Montague" a predicate nominative in this last sentence? If not, what would you call it?


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #27

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    Are you sure that you understand what Juliet is asking?
    For native English speakers the big problem with this quote is that they think that Juliet is saying "Where are you, Romeo?" What she means is "Why are you a Montague?" Wouldn't you call "Montague" a predicate nominative in this last sentence? If not, what would you call it?
    Hello Frank,

    Why are you a Montague? -- In this ssentence, the bolded word is a pred nom.

    Wherefore art thou Romeo? -- oops, sorry

    I already knew what the quotation means. In my mind's eye I saw a different sentence. I was thinking with my eyes.

  5. Frank Antonson's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,151
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #28

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    I was thinking that our problem was in terminology. For me there are two kinds (maybe three) of subject complements -- namely a predicate adjective and a predicate nominative. I have this from Harman and House.
    What sentence were you seeing in your mind's eye (-- isn't that a phrase from Hamlet!)
    Linguist Farmer

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 5,312
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #29

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    I was thinking that our problem was in terminology. For me there are two kinds (maybe three) of subject complements -- namely a predicate adjective and a predicate nominative. I have this from Harman and House.
    What sentence were you seeing in your mind's eye (-- isn't that a phrase from Hamlet!)
    Linguist Farmer
    Dear Respected Teacher: I wish to humbly apologize for doubting your parsing "Romeo" as a subjective complement. I have just received confirmation from other sources that you are 100% correct. I shall accordingly revise the diagram.

  6. Frank Antonson's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,151
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #30

    Re: Diagramming Shakespeare

    Dear Parser,
    I do not regard you as a student, but a teacher.
    LF

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Aug-2009, 20:12
  2. Common phrases/expressions that come from Shakespeare
    By MaryTeacher in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2008, 16:46
  3. Help with diagramming sentences.
    By Zach in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2007, 09:16
  4. Shakespeare
    By Lenka in forum Literature
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-Jul-2007, 22:18
  5. What is the best Kellogg diagramming software?
    By Chiropotera in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2007, 12:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •