Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unregistered Guest

Default there be sentences

There (is, are) a light bulb and a screwdriver in the drawer.

We are asked to choose the article . The answer to it is are. I don't know why. I think the answer should be is, according to the grammar I have learned.

TheParser is online now Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: there be sentences

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    There (is, are) a light bulb and a screwdriver in the drawer.

We are asked to choose the article . The answer to it is are. I don't know why. I think the answer should be is, according to the grammar I have learned.
    (NOT a teacher) There ARE a light bulb and a screwdriver in the drawer. (A light bulb and a screwdriver ARE in the drawer.)

Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    (NOT a teacher) There ARE a light bulb and a screwdriver in the drawer. (A light bulb and a screwdriver ARE in the drawer.)
    Really?! My goodness, I need to reasses my own language skills . I would have bet a lot of money on the answer being "There is a light bulb and a screwdriver in the drawer"!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    Really?! My goodness, I need to reasses my own language skills . I would have bet a lot of money on the answer being "There is a light bulb and a screwdriver in the drawer"!
    Dear Linguist: Every American book assures me that in a "there" sentence, the subject comes later: There ___a light bulb and a screwdriver. The compound subject is plural: A light bulb AND a screwdriver ARE on the table. (Surely, one would NOT say: A light bulb and a screwdriver IS on the table.) BUT if the first subject is singular and the second subject is plural, then most books approve a singular verb for the sake of sound: There is one light bulb and three screwdrivers. I visit this website because I love our language. If I am wrong, I WANT to know. Perhaps a moderator or other poster can clarify this matter. Thank you.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were to bet a lot of money on it, you would win. "is" is correct.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Linguist: This debate is great. I don't have room in a post to cite many American authorities. Here's one (Harper's English Grammar by John B. Opdycke. Ph. D.): THERE is not taken as the subject of the verb...THERE, of course, has no number...Say THERE ARE A LADY AND GENTLEMAN IN THE ROOM, not THERE IS A LADY AND A GENTLEMAN IN THE ROOM. I notice that one gentleman agrees with you. Hopefully, others will join this debate.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Linguist: Here is a citation that is a win/win for both sides. WRITING WITH A PURPOSE by James M. McCrimmon says: When "there" begins a sentence, the verb agrees with the subject that follows: There ARE a man and a boy in that boat. BUT he adds: This usage is not strictly observed in speech. (P. S. I have reread the poster's message and observed that s/he admits the answer is ARE, for that is apparently what s/he was taught. S/he wants to know why, for -- perhaps -- s/he has often heard "is" in "loose" speech. Hope you haven't bet too much money yet!)

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoever wins the bet should share the prize with the UsingEnglish users!
    We deserve it !

Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

About what you said - "THERE is not taken as the subject of the verb". I have been taught that 'There' in 'there is' is a kind of pronoun, much like 'dummy it' in "It is raining".

From Cambridge Grammar of English: "The so-called empty it and existential there do not refer to any object or entity. They are used as dummy subject forms (since a subject is required in non-imperative clauses) and refer generally to situations"

I can't say, grammatically, why I think it is singular as I don't have the grammatical knowledge. Perhaps because you can alter the sentence to say "There is a screwdriver in the drawer, and there is a lightbulb in the drawer." I have no idea.

Also, what you said -

"BUT if the first subject is singular and the second subject is plural, then most books approve a singular verb for the sake of sound: There is one light bulb and three screwdrivers"

- seems strange to me. For if both are singular (one lightbulb and one screwdriver) then it is plural (are), however if the first is singular and the second is plural (one lightbulb and three screwdrivers) then the verb is singular (is). With no real grammatical knowledge, this just seem irrational to me: if the rule for when one is plural is "take the first item, if it is singular then the verb is singular", then surely the fact that the first object in 'a screwdriver and a lightbulb' is singular makes this rule apply here too?

I genuinely have no idea, and am merely looking at it rationally. Although, grammar is hardly mathematical!

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Although, grammar is hardly mathematical!
    If it were ... !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast