JayFisher Guest

Best way to learn spelling rules and grammer

Hello my name Jay and I am 34 years old, I'm writing you because I would like to learn all the spelling rules, or secrets I missed out on over the years by not being able to attend school past third grade. I went on home studies and taught myself how to read and spell, but I know I am lacking several things that could make it much easier on me if I knew them. Would you please give me some advice on either where to go on the internet or how I may be able to learn spelling rules such as, I comes before E except after C, doubling the consonant and adding ing to words and so on. I know some of those rules, but I don't know many of them and I just know if I knew them all it would be so much easier on me to spell. I also would like to know when it is proper to use a comma and when you should put the period in sentences. I always guess when I should do it because I was told if the sentence is going on to long you put a comma in there, and you put the period at the end of your sentence. I did go back to adult school and get my high school diploma, but they didn't teach me anything when I attended. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be able to learn on my computer from home if possible. Thank you for your time.

mara_ce is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to learn spelling rules and grammer

Quote Originally Posted by JayFisher View Post
    Hello my name Jay and I am 34 years old, I'm writing you because I would like to learn all the spelling rules, or secrets I missed out on over the years by not being able to attend school past third grade. I went on home studies and taught myself how to read and spell, but I know I am lacking several things that could make it much easier on me if I knew them. Would you please give me some advice on either where to go on the internet or how I may be able to learn spelling rules such as, I comes before E except after C, doubling the consonant and adding ing to words and so on. I know some of those rules, but I don't know many of them and I just know if I knew them all it would be so much easier on me to spell. I also would like to know when it is proper to use a comma and when you should put the period in sentences. I always guess when I should do it because I was told if the sentence is going on to long you put a comma in there, and you put the period at the end of your sentence. I did go back to adult school and get my high school diploma, but they didn't teach me anything when I attended. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be able to learn on my computer from home if possible. Thank you for your time.
    (NOT a teacher) Almost everyone agrees that one of the best ways to be a good speller is to READ - READ - READ. Then your eyes will tell you when a word looks "wrong." Yes, do learn the rules. But if you read something every day in English, you will find your spelling (and grammar) getting better and better. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Best way to learn spelling rules and grammer

very good topic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there

I would have to agree that the best way to spell is definitely not by learning rules. The point is that English spelling is not rule driven. Even if you take a "simple' rule like i before e except after c, there are so many exceptions to make it virtually worthless.

The comment about read, read and read is quite right. However, there are more specific techniques as well. The best known of these is look, say, cover, write, check. There is a perfectly brilliant website for this:

BBC Skillswise look say cover

There are other techniques as well of course which relate to thinking about how words are formed. This means looking at parts of words as opposed to whole words.

But the place to start is simply to learn to look at words. Once that process has started, spelling follows.

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    (NOT a teacher) Almost everyone agrees that one of the best ways to be a good speller is to READ - READ - READ. Then your eyes will tell you when a word looks "wrong." Yes, do learn the rules. But if you read something every day in English, you will find your spelling (and grammar) getting better and better. Good luck.
    Absolutely !!