Post Thanks / Like

Default Pronunciation of "Control" in British English?

Dear All,

I don't know how come she pronounced the "Control" as "Contra"? I've checked many dictionaries, they never tell me to pronounce "Contra", do you think she pronounced "Control" incorrect? Please advise. Thanks.

The disease robs you of muscle control.
    Soundclip
    Last edited by BobK; 27-Dec-2009 at 18:43. Reason: link renamed, to make it sound relevant (which it is) - BobK

Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pronunciation of "Control" in British English?

I can only guess, but from that excerpt it sounds like the speaker has a cockney accent. Her pronunciation isn't standard, so you won't find it in any dictionaries, but it is perfectly intelligable; that is, she isn't saying any other word in her pronunciation.

Perhaps it is just my ear fooling me, but there is a sound at the end, somewhat like the voiced labiodental approximant (can't find a way to put the IPA symbol here).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    I can only guess, but from that excerpt it sounds like the speaker has a cockney accent. Her pronunciation isn't standard, so you won't find it in any dictionaries, but it is perfectly intelligable; that is, she isn't saying any other word in her pronunciation.

Perhaps it is just my ear fooling me, but there is a sound at the end, somewhat like the voiced labiodental approximant (can't find a way to put the IPA symbol here).

Let you know, that excerpt is recorded in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 5 Edition, that means this famous dictionary sometimes is not using standard english to teach people.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Let you know, that excerpt is recorded in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 5 Edition, that means this famous dictionary sometimes is not using standard english to teach people.
    That dictionary uses examples from actual contemporary usage. Very few - if any - actual speakers conform to anything that might be defined as standard English in all circumstances, and an /l/ at the end of a word*, and at the end of an utterance, is unlikely to be pronounced with perfect clarity.

b

PS *This is a correction. I originally said it was an unstressed syllable - which it's not.
    Last edited by BobK; 18-Dec-2009 at 14:39. Reason: Added PS

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Pronunciation of "Control" in British English?

Control is pronounced kənˈtrəʊl

And -Contra is a prefix, it goes at the beginning of a word as I know, not at the end.
    In some dialects the final L is sometimes pronounced "ew". Perhaps this is the case.