Post Thanks / Like

Default Grammar needs checking..thanks in advance?

I just started an office clerk position in August this year and my supervisor gave me a list of clients to contact about an activity change. When I started making phone calls, I was stuck with this part of the conversation:

ME: "we send a letter notifying parents about the change of tonight's activity but were not too sure whether you have have recieved the letter in the mail yet which is why I'm calling you just in case."

QUESTION:

a) how would you say the above passage properly - I want to sound relax and casual.

b) when to use the word 'sent' and 'send'?

Thanks for your help.

Abs K is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grammar needs checking..thanks in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy08 View Post
    ME: "we send a letter notifying parents about the change of tonight's activity but were not too sure whether you have have recieved the letter in the mail yet which is why I'm calling you just in case."

QUESTION:

a) how would you say the above passage properly - I want to sound relax and casual.

b) when to use the word 'sent' and 'send'?
    a) say "Hello, I am calling to confirm that you have recieved a letter we sent to notifiy you about the change in tonights activity. We are unsure if you have recieved it yet and are just calling to check."
    b)'sent' is to be used it the past tense, i.e. "I sent her an e-mail yesterday." 'send' is to be used in the present or future, i.e. "I am sending an e-mail" and "I am going to send her an e-mail"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - it sounds very simple and clear - that's exactly what I'm looking for.

One question though, why do you use 'we' in the second sentence? Would it still be correct if I stick to 'I' even though my supervisor made the change.

Another Example:

"Hello, this is Jimmy from [Pretend business]. How are you today? [wait]..
    That's good to hear. I'm just letting you know that you have a booking for a sailing trip tomorrow, 2pm at [location]. Can you please confirm if you are able to attend?

Questions:

a) When I ask "how are you today" and the reciever says, "Not bad" - how do I respond?

b) When the receiver finally say, "yes, I will be attending"... what else can I say...remember - I won't be there to see the client, therefore I can't say, "perfect, I hope to see you there tomorrow."

c) Closure... what are some ways to end the call before, "good-bye / bye"

Pls reply, thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Jimmy08; 20-Dec-2009 at 10:19.

euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

For using ready-made sentences,you should watch more movies,TV shows,etc. in English.
    This is the only way to learn'em (Assuming that you haven't been to English-speaking countries and/or lived there long enough to be familiar to the language). 'Till the day you are confident enough to speak more fluently with the daily-English,all you can do is just doing the way you already do,that's to say ;thinking Chinese, and than translating it in your mind and finally speaking in English.(abiding by the grammer structure of course). And staying tuned on usingenglish.com will do as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your suggestions... I prefer listening to radio talk shows instead of watching television shows. With the radio talk shows, I find it a lot more convenient to record the conversation and hear it again using a Walkman/cassette player.

euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good way what you've been doing. However, it is lack of the things that the visual sources can provide.You may miss the contex in which the words, idioms,etc. fit and the gestures that manifest the direction of what is said.Sometimes voice just doesn't convey the entire meaning.