Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default diagramming other languages

    Reed-Kellogg does not only work in English. I would like to see some other languages diagrammed.
    In Swedish, for example, there is a folksong appropriate to the season, that starts something like "Nar Jultags morgons glimmar, jag vil til stallet go"-- "When Yule Day's morning glimmers, I will to the stable go"????
    I would like to see that diagrammed, Kondorosi.
    Merry Christmas.
    LF

  2. #2
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    Reed-Kellogg does not only work in English. I would like to see some other languages diagrammed.
    In Swedish, for example, there is a folksong appropriate to the season, that starts something like "Nar Jultags morgons glimmar, jag vil til stallet go"-- "When Yule Day's morning glimmers, I will to the stable go"????
    I would like to see that diagrammed, Kondorosi.
    Merry Christmas.
    LF



  3. #3
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    In Hungarian, there is the zero copula (linking verb). Sound cool, doesn't it?

    Hány óra (van)? = What time (is it)?

    Hány = How many
    óra = hour; o'clock; watch

    You go first, Frank.

  4. #4
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    I guess I would just treat it as understood.
    In Black English (the dialect, rapidly becoming a separate language, within USA inner cities) the verb "to be" is regularly omitted e.g. You my friend (pronounced ~ \yw mu fren\).
    Again, I guess I would just put an "x" in the diagram.

    Thanks for that Swedish sentence. I knew I was wildly off in the spelling (but I can sing it)

    Regarding these foreign languages, learning to use an international keyboard is another hurdle I must pass -- because of all the diacritical marks.

  5. #5
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    Do you know Hungarian !?
    I have a friend on the Livemocha.com site who diagrammed a short sentence in Urdu for me. What was most interesting is that, since Urdu like Arabic is written from right to left, the diagram was done from right to left.
    I haven't yet seen a sentence diagrammed in German or Latin, but I think that the case endings in, say, the relative pronouns, should be more teachable with a diagram.
    LF

  6. #6
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    Do you know Hungarian !?
    Not much better than you, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    I have a friend on the Livemocha.com site who diagrammed a short sentence in Urdu for me.
    Acute mental disorder.


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    What was most interesting is that, since Urdu like Arabic is written from right to left, the diagram was done from right to left.
    Even book covers in Arabic are arranged in a reversed order compared to what we are used to. The back is the front.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    I haven't yet seen a sentence diagrammed in German or Latin, but I think that the case endings in, say, the relative pronouns, should be more teachable with a diagram.
    LF
    I do not think I will be the first to show you one. I do not speak these languages very well.

    Dr. Steven J. Sacco, Language Professor, San Diego State University
    PhD in Foreign Language Education
    You know him?

  7. #7
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    No, I do not know that professor. Should I?
    LF

  8. #8
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    No, I do not know that professor. Should I?
    LF
    I thought you might know. I found his name on the site you quoted.

  9. #9
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    I've quoted several sites. I am not sure which one.
    Do you know about Livemocha.com?
    I have begun to wonder who might be the "world authority" on Reed-Kellogg diagramming. Do you suppose there is one? Do you suppose it is YOU? and/or me?
    LF

  10. #10
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: diagramming other languages

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    I've quoted several sites. I am not sure which one.
    This one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    Do you know about Livemocha.com?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    I have begun to wonder who might be the "world authority" on Reed-Kellogg diagramming. Do you suppose there is one? Do you suppose it is YOU? and/or me?
    Me? Reed and Kellog would be tossing in their grave. That would be the ultimate insult to members' intelligence. I am not good at English grammar. If I were an authority, who would be a layman? By the way, what does world authority at Livemocha mean?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help me learn multiple languages...
    By sophiabaker in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2009, 11:22
  2. Learning Foreign Languages: Is it a hobby or a must?
    By Harry Smith in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2007, 22:39
  3. What is the best Kellogg diagramming software?
    By Chiropotera in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2007, 11:13
  4. Endangered Languages
    By Tdol in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Mar-2004, 11:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk