Post Thanks / Like

Default ACTDEC Level 2 Certificate in TESOL

Hello,

I did this course a month ago online. I'm wondering how I can advance to a level 3. I went through LinguaEdge for this certficate (was anything but easy), but they don't offer anything above a level 2. I believe you can get up to a level 5 (very experienced teachers).

Specimen Regulations and Syllabus for Level 2 - ACTDEC

If anyone has any input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ACTDEC Level 2 Certificate in TESOL

Eurolink offer the higher levels, I believe. Actdec and Eurolink are supposedly connected and there have been questions asked about the set-up. Judging from a couple of the names of the member schools, I would take great care before agreeing to do a course- there's one there (applicant) in particular that is very dodgy.

Apollo70 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone,

I have also completed the level 2 Certificate. Actdec may well be connected with Eurolink, and I point out, connected in much the same manner that Celta and Trinity Tesol are connected with their associated schools.
    Actdec also accredits language training schools in Canada, Coventry House International here in Toronto is one such example. That also being the only training center for Trinity Tesol in the country and which is also offering a 20-hour teaching practicum.

Rather than follow a course of attempting to discredit one party to the benefit of another, I will prefer to focus on what can be verified with a little bit of research and leverage that with common sense. Actdec is addressing the issue of teacher practice with the addition of its Teaching Practice Portfolio Scheme. The practicum requires a minimum of 6 hours supervised teaching practice AND 10 hours of observed and assessed in classroom teaching practice. By contrast, current industry standard leaders, Celta and Trinity Tesol, offer just 6 hours of observed practice. A significant raising of the bar for industry standards, to the benefit of the prospective teacher and the students.

Finally, I would observe the current industry leaders have considerable interest in remaining so because it is more than about teacher training, it is also a business. The business implications for the current "standard" providers are obvious in that courses will need to be lengthened, producing an even greater cost to the course providers to meet a higher standard and, as is usually the case, these costs passed on to the course applicants. I will give the current industry leaders their due; they have maintained a good reputation in the industry. However, they will now have to respond and raise it’s standards to meet the challenge of it’s competitor and assume the risk of declining interest due to cost and time requirements. It is also an undeniable truth that, in business, if you are attracting criticism founded only on rumour-mongering and conjecture, it is only because an organization is viewed as a strong competitor. If this were not the case, it is simply ignored and dismissed.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

1 'Actdec may well be connected'- is it or isn't it? If so, then it is a case of self-accreditation, surely?
    2 What schools does CELTA have?
    3 I am not trying to discredit anyone for anyone's benefit. I stand to gain nothing from any party. However, I recommended checking the schools out very carefully and stand by this- not only with Acted but with all courses. There are good courses and shockers out there. Does this fill you with confidence that people will be treated fairly and complaints dealt with in a professional manner? Seriousteachers.com - Serious Teachers - ESL Jobs, Teachers, Resumes and Schools Are this lot really adhering to the code of practice?

Acted code of practice
    advertising and promotional materials give a clear and truthful account of courses offered
    They say:
    Industry's Most Recognized Online Certificate & Diploma
    Accepted by over 5,000 employers worldwide as members of the
    International Alliance of Teachers & Employers
    Can you track down the International Alliance of Teachers and Employers? Is the seriousteachers' certificate really the most recognised in the industry? Is this really encouraging the industry to raise it's standards?