Post Thanks / Like

Wink These need clarifying...please :)

Hello everyone!
    How are you?
    I kind of figure out what these following expressions mean...not sure though.
    Could you tell me if I think right?

"For what it's worth" (...In fact/ at least we should mention the fact that...). Ex: For what it's worth, I think you're a great Capitain!
    "If it wasn't/weren't for you, [...] (...If you haven't been there...)
    Ex: If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have made it this far. So thank you
    "You may/might as well.." (..Be at the end a matter of...)
    Ex: You may as well get used to it.

"Pull yourself together" (...Don't let yourself down)
    "Get over yourself" (...Stop kidding)
    "Give it up for something/somebody!" (..To acclaim sthg/s.b!)
    "This is more like it" (...It's better this way)
    [before taking action] "I don't know about this" (..this doesn't feel right)

I guess their meanings can change depending on contexts...
    Actually, the problem is that I can't find their equivalents in my language (French),...Translations would be welcomed!!!!

+ 'dud', 'perk' (U.S). What do they mean?

Many thanks!
    若菲

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: These need clarifying...please :)

Quote Originally Posted by ruofei
    Hello everyone!
    How are you?
    I kind of figure out what these following expressions mean...not sure though.
    Could you tell me if I think right?

"For what it's worth" (...In fact/ at least we should mention the fact that...). Ex: For what it's worth, I think you're a great Capitain!
    "If it wasn't/weren't for you, [...] (...If you haven't been there...)
    Ex: If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have made it this far. So thank you
    "You may/might as well.." (..Be at the end a matter of...)
    Ex: You may as well get used to it.

"Pull yourself together" (...Don't let yourself down)
    "Get over yourself" (...Stop kidding)
    "Give it up for something/somebody!" (..To acclaim sthg/s.b!)
    "This is more like it" (...It's better this way)
    [before taking action] "I don't know about this" (..this doesn't feel right)

I guess their meanings can change depending on contexts...
    Actually, the problem is that I can't find their equivalents in my language (French),...Translations would be welcomed!!!!

+ 'dud', 'perk' (U.S). What do they mean?

Many thanks!
    若菲

For what it's worth -it's not worth a lot but it's still worth considering.

ex. the horse hasn't done all that well in the last few races but I am going to bet on him for all it's worth.

= the horse is still worth consideration.

If it wasn't/weren't for you OK
    You may/might as well - give it a try, give it a shot, go ahead, do it, it's worth considering.

ex.

Since you are already taking physics 12 and math honors, you might as well consider taking chemistry 12. It will give you that many extra credits.

pull yourself together- don't let yourself down- OK!, get your act together, get over your blues, calm down, regain control, etc.

Stop crying like a baby over this guy. He is not worth your tears! Pull yourself together...there are a lot of other fish in the sea.

Give it up for something/somebody give something up = quit somnething, finish with something.

Susan gave up her long lasting alcohol adiction for her own sake as well as her husband's and their kids'.

"This is more like it" (...It's better this way) OK
    "I don't know about this" (..this doesn't feel right) OK...something doesn't feel, look right. I have my doubts about this.

dude - same as guy
    Hey dude, Hey man, hi there, etc. slang
    I am not too familiar with your other word perk. Have any context to go with it?
    Last edited by Marylin; 23-Mar-2005 at 21:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin

Give it up for something/somebody give something up = quit somnething, finish with something.
    dude - same as guy
    Hey dude, Hey man, hi there, etc. slang
    I am not too familiar with your other word perk. Have any context to go with it?
    Dear Marylin,
    Thank you for taking your time: your explanations and examples were so clear!
    About these 3 expressions above, I heard them in the animation movie "Shrek" (quite hilarious, have you seen it?)
    Here are the contexts:

1) The Magic Mirror announces a game where Lord Farquaad has to pick up one of the 3 bachelorettes. It wants to introduce the 3 girls one by one and starts the introduction with: "GIVE IT UP FOR....Snow White!"

2) Shrek finally rescues Princess Fiona. She asks him to remove his helmet so that he can give her her true love's first kiss. He answers: "that wasn't in the job description" and Donkey says: "Maybe it's a PERK!"

3) Shrek drinks a magic potion that is supposed to turn him into a handsome Prince Charming..but the potion doesn't work (at first) and he just cracks one off. Puss in Boots then says: "Maybe it's a DUD"

I've no idea what they mean by those 3 expressions..hope you can help me.
    Thanx again!

Bolo Guest

perks are something extra that you can get from a company.

ex. a car, mobile phone, dinners, free lunches, tickets to sport events, a loan for a house, holiday package etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo
    perks are something extra that you can get from a company.

ex. a car, mobile phone, dinners, free lunches, tickets to sport events, a loan for a house, holiday package etc.
    Thank you! It makes more sense to me now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ruofei
    Dear Marylin,
    Thank you for taking your time: your explanations and examples were so clear!
    About these 3 expressions above, I heard them in the animation movie "Shrek" (quite hilarious, have you seen it?)
    Here are the contexts:

1) The Magic Mirror announces a game where Lord Farquaad has to pick up one of the 3 bachelorettes. It wants to introduce the 3 girls one by one and starts the introduction with: "GIVE IT UP FOR....Snow White!"

2) Shrek finally rescues Princess Fiona. She asks him to remove his helmet so that he can give her her true love's first kiss. He answers: "that wasn't in the job description" and Donkey says: "Maybe it's a PERK!"

3) Shrek drinks a magic potion that is supposed to turn him into a handsome Prince Charming..but the potion doesn't work (at first) and he just cracks one off. Puss in Boots then says: "Maybe it's a DUD"

I've no idea what they mean by those 3 expressions..hope you can help me.
    Thanx again!
    Give it up for...I think he might be referring to his bachelor life: "give up your bachelor life", your "freedom" so to speak or whatever else you've had going for you. I think it's used in a humorous way.

it's a dud...the cat's referring to an empty round/ shell. A dud can't be fired since there is nothing inside.