Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 343
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    Hi All,

    I was wondering if saying "Bullshit" is a foul language? Any better word can instead of Bullshit if I want to express the same meaning?


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 5
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi All,

    I was wondering if saying "Bullshit" is a foul language? Any better word can instead of Bullshit if I want to express the same meaning?
    Erm... "Rubbish"? "nonsense"... "bullshit" is kind of offensive


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    "Crap" has the same connotation as "bullshit" in that it is used to describe faecal matter. It's use if much less vulgar though.

    Make sure if you wish to use such language you use it with the correct meaning. "Crap" can be used in more situations than "bullshit".


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 23
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    A lot of my friends tend to use the phrase, "What the f*ck?!"
    That phrase is very common in Australia and I don't find it offensive unless a stranger keeps repeating it to my ears.

    I don't think anyone uses the word "Bulls*it" anymore...

    Commonly use phrases in Australia include:

    "That's crap!" or "What the heck?!" or "Dam it!" or "Bloody hell!"


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy08 View Post
    A lot of my friends tend to use the phrase, "What the f*ck?!"
    That phrase is very common in Australia and I don't find it offensive unless a stranger keeps repeating it to my ears.
    Whenever I question whether a word is offensive/rude/vulgar or not, I ask myself the question, "Would I be shocked if my young child said this word/phrase?". If the answer is yes, then it is most likely offensive/rude/vulgar.

    I understand that a newcomer to a language can't be sensitive to words like this, but it's how I do it.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 23
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    Whenever I question whether a word is offensive/rude/vulgar or not, I ask myself the question, "Would I be shocked if my young child said this word/phrase?". If the answer is yes, then it is most likely offensive/rude/vulgar.

    I understand that a newcomer to a language can't be sensitive to words like this, but it's how I do it.
    I agree... I wouldn't use the word/phrase in front of young children as well.

    Guys tend to use the phrase/word to make them look/sound "tough"/masculine/macho. It depends who I converse with.
    Last edited by Jimmy08; 22-Dec-2009 at 11:41.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    It's more of a rude-ish word than full-on swearing to me. It's also less likely to cause offence than shit on its own.

  1. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,619
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    How about "bollocks" that's so commonly used by British speakers?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 17
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    i think we can use nonsense


    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: "Bullshit" is a foul language?

    You can omit the "shit" and just say "Bull!" or "That's bull!".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Language Teaching Methods (Translation?)
    By Abstract Idea in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2009, 18:47
  2. [Essay] to learn a new language
    By mkmfAm in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2009, 18:21
  3. Learn a Foreign Language from TV dramas
    By jimmayor007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Dec-2007, 00:35
  4. Linguistic Predictions
    By Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2005, 12:42
  5. Why the language is called english?
    By Adi Yogya in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Apr-2005, 06:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •