• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default impasse/secede/cut back/depression/anxiety/suck up/foreclosure/round up

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

China and the United States were at an impasse on Monday at the United Nations climate change conference here over how compliance with any treaty could be monitored and verified.

impasse = deadlock, stalemate

The stalemate came on a day of public and private brinkmanship as the talks moved into their second and final week.

brinkmanship = the practice, especially in international politics, of seeking advantage by creating the impression that one is willing and able to push a highly dangerous situation to the limit rather than concede; the policy of pushing a dangerous situation to the brink of disaster (to the limits of safety)

There are fears that Quebec may secede from Canada.

secede = disaffiliate, leave, separate

Our country has to secede from millitary blocs.

secede = withdraw

An equal number have cut back on doctor visits or medical treatments because they are out of work.

cut back = reduce, decrease

Almost half have suffered from depression or anxiety.

depression = a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity

anxiety = a relatively permanent state of worry and nervousness occurring in a variety of mental disorders, usually accompanied by compulsive behaviour or attacks of panic

“After struggling and struggling and not being able to pay my house payments or my other bills, I finally sucked up my pride,” she said in an interview after the poll was conducted. “I got food stamps just to help feed my daughter.”

suck up = gulp

Over the summer, she abandoned her home in Flint, Mich., after she started receiving foreclosure notices.

foreclosure = the act of foreclosing, especially a legal proceeding by which a mortgage is foreclosed

The Munich court was told of how families had been rounded up during the Second World War before being taken away and killed.

round up = arrest, take in

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: impasse/secede/cut back/depression/anxiety/suck up/foreclosure/round up

(NOT a teacher) EXcellent job!!! By the way, perhaps "suck up my pride" in your example seems to mean TO OVERCOME/ CONQUER / FORGET MY PRIDE.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: impasse/secede/cut back/depression/anxiety/suck up/foreclosure/round up

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

China and the United States were at an impasse on Monday at the United Nations climate change conference here over how compliance with any treaty could be monitored and verified.

impasse = deadlock, stalemate

The stalemate came on a day of public and private brinkmanship as the talks moved into their second and final week.

brinkmanship = the practice, especially in international politics, of seeking advantage by creating the impression that one is willing and able to push a highly dangerous situation to the limit rather than concede; the policy of pushing a dangerous situation to the brink of disaster (to the limits of safety)

There are fears that Quebec may secede from Canada.

secede = disaffiliate, leave, separate

Our country has to secede from millitary blocs.

secede = withdraw

An equal number have cut back on doctor visits or medical treatments because they are out of work.

cut back = reduce, decrease

Almost half have suffered from depression or anxiety.

depression = a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity

anxiety = a relatively permanent state of worry and nervousness occurring in a variety of mental disorders, usually accompanied by compulsive behaviour or attacks of panic
    “After struggling and struggling and not being able to pay my house payments or my other bills, I finally sucked up my pride,” she said in an interview after the poll was conducted. “I got food stamps just to help feed my daughter.” OK

suck up = gulp =To endure a period of mental, physical, or emotional hardship with no complaining
    No more excuse, you must get out there, suck it up and solve the problem
    = A person who flatters to get favour (phrasal verb)
    He's always sucking up to the boss.
    =To behave obsequiously; fawn (slang).
    He couldn't afford to buy a new car, so he had to suck it up with the old one.

Over the summer, she abandoned her home in Flint, Mich., after she started receiving foreclosure notices.

foreclosure = the act of foreclosing, especially a legal proceeding by which a mortgage is foreclosed

The Munich court was told of how families had been rounded up during the Second World War before being taken away and killed.

round up = arrest, take in

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Suck up finds interesting and varied uses. Suck up one’s pride is an excellent example.