Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I think it's an idiomatic thing but I'm not sure, so I'm posting here. Sorry in advance if I'm wrong.

Well, cutting to the chase. Why the "a"? Why, according with Google, it's more common "What do you do for a living" instead of "What do you do for living"?

To my foreign ears seem way better the latter.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think it's an idiomatic thing but I'm not sure, so I'm posting here. Sorry in advance if I'm wrong.

Well, cutting to the chase. Why the "a"? Why, according with Goolge, it's more common "What do you do for a living" instead of "What do you do for living"?

To my foreign hears seem way better the latter.
"living" is a noun here. "a living" = "a job", "a means of support".
guadagnarsi la vita - to earn a living, to make money, to support oneself.
It's idiomatic.
How do you earn your living?
is another way you can say it.

Jimmy08

Member Type
Student or Learner
I agree with Raymott.

It's "what do you do for a living?" I hate when people ask me that question. I get embarrassed when I tell people that I work part-time, as an office clerk. I'm afraid that they might look down at me.

In my opinion, I think thaT question is too direct. There are people incl. myself who don't really like people asking them what they do for a living...I mean, if I was a doctor, then I would be very proud to say that...sadly, I'm not.

I prefer people asking me: "What do you do during your spare time?" rather than "what do I do for a living?"

macanudo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
I think it is very common when doing networking (at a conference or professional organization) or sitting next to someone on a plane -> 'What do you do for a living?' If you are working part time, you can just talk about what you are planning to do, or that you are a student. Who knows the person asking might give you a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.