• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default interprettion of "tight smile"

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain t me in plain English the meaning of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

I found myself passing a dish of peanuts among many guests and looking up at their smiles; diplomatic smiles can look different when seen from below than when seen straight on. Afterward I would listen to my mother and father interpret various gestures. The tight smile of the Bulgarian emissary, the averted glance of the Chinese consul . . .

I assume the following interpretations: reserved smile, cool smile, restrained smile

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

kfredson is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: interprettion of "tight smile"

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain t me in plain English the meaning of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

I found myself passing a dish of peanuts among many guests and looking up at their smiles; diplomatic smiles can look different when seen from below than when seen straight on. Afterward I would listen to my mother and father interpret various gestures. The tight smile of the Bulgarian emissary, the averted glance of the Chinese consul . . .

I assume the following interpretations: reserved smile, cool smile, restrained smile

Regards,

V.
    I would say it is closest to "restrained." It is not a common expression but a creative, pictorial use of words. You can picture it, can't you?

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: interprettion of "tight smile"

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Regards,

V.
    Smile is a way of expression of love, affection, appreciation and gesture of good wishes/will. When some one smiles, the muscles in the body eased out and he feels relaxed so much so that at times the smile bursts into laughter. Reserved smile, cool smile, restrained smile are smiles on a lowkey.The opposite of smile is frown which is expressive of nagative aspects of all the good gestures of smile. So when some one actually wants to frown but can not do so publicly he gives a distorted smile. So tight smile is a kind of distorted smile.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 25-Dec-2009 at 05:03.