Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 212
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Question Why it does not working

    Hi,

    I get confusing about "does not +verb" and "dost not +gerund".

    For example:
    A. Why it does not work?
    B. Why it does not working?

    Which is correct? and why?

    Thanks.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Why it does not working

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Hi,

    I get confusing about "does not +verb" and "dost not +gerund".

    For example:
    A. Why it does not work?
    B. Why it does not working?

    Which is correct? and why?

    Thanks.
    (Not a teacher)

    The progressive form (-ing, which you've called the gerund here) is used with the auxiliary (helping) verb 'be', not do. I don't think you ever get the progressive form on it's own, nor with any other auxiliary including 'do' here. This is why B is incorrect, it doesn't have the auxiliary 'be'.

    Also, for A (and B), you need to switch around the order of words, since it is a question, thus: "Why does it not work?".

    If B read, "Why is it not working?" or "Why isn't it working?" then it would be correct.


    Just as a question, is there such a thing as 'does not + progressive'? (or 'does not + gerund; for that matter)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 212
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Why it does not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    (Not a teacher)

    The progressive form (-ing, which you've called the gerund here) is used with the auxiliary (helping) verb 'be', not do. I don't think you ever get the progressive form on it's own, nor with any other auxiliary including 'do' here. This is why B is incorrect, it doesn't have the auxiliary 'be'.

    Also, for A (and B), you need to switch around the order of words, since it is a question, thus: "Why does it not work?".

    If B read, "Why is it not working?" or "Why isn't it working?" then it would be correct.


    Just as a question, is there such a thing as 'does not + progressive'? (or 'does not + gerund; for that matter)
    But I googled it from "it does not working" - Google Search , and found there are thousands of millions search results, so, are they all incorrect??

  1. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Why it does not working

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    But I googled it from "it does not working" - Google Search , and found there are thousands of millions search results, so, are they all incorrect??
    Yes, they are.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Why it does not working

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    But I googled it from "it does not working" - Google Search , and found there are thousands of millions search results, so, are they all incorrect??
    Wow, you are right! Boy, there is a lot of bad English out there. Perhaps as English becomes more of an international language it will one day -- say in three decades -- be seen as acceptable.

    But yes, they are all wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] teenagers working
    By san2612 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2009, 14:40
  2. [Grammar] Working closely with...?
    By SunMoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2008, 15:20
  3. Bahraini women working abroad [Argument essay]Need Help :)
    By amona86 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2008, 01:03
  4. hard working/ working hard/ hard work
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Apr-2008, 14:48
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2006, 07:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •