Unregistered Guest

Smile half step adopted slibings

Dear Teachers,

I am writing to ask the following questions.

1.Hollywood-Spokesperson for actor Nicole Sommers announced yesterday that Ms. Sommers is expecting a baby girl with husband Miguel Santiago in May. It is the couple's first child. Ms. Sommers has a daughter from a previous marriage, Michelle, aged 7, now living with her father, director Cameron DuBois. mr. Santiage has twin boys, Alberto and Jorge, age 10, who live with his ex-wife. The news of the new baby comes just three months after Sommers and Santiago adopted a little girl whom they've named Angelina. Ms. Sommers is currently shooting her latest film in the south of Spain, where she is staying with her in-laws. She has not announced plans to stop working at this time.
    --Angelina is Michelle, Alberto, and Jorge's_____? I was told that she should be their half-sister but I did not really understand why?

--Ms. Sommer's in-laws are Miguel Santiago's_____? The answer is parents. I could understand this one but could it Santiago's in laws? I mean sisters in law or brothers in law?

--When we write the word step-father, step-mother, step-...etc. Is the hypen necessary?

--The beginning of this pessage says that spokesperson for actor Nicole Sommers announced that Ms. Sommers is expecting a baby girl... I wonder to know why the spokesperson is for actor Nicole Sommers not for actress Ms. Sommers???

2.Patronize is to talk down to someone, to speak to a person like a child.
    --What does "talk down" here mean?

3.In contrast, critics of homeschooling say that children who are not in the classroom miss out on learning important social skills because they have little interaction with their peers.
    --I was confused about "the critics of homeschooling..." Does that mean the homeschooling critics say... I am confused. Are the critics for or again homeschooling?

4.Several studies, though, have shown that the home-educated appear to do just as well in terms of social and emotional development as other students, having spent more time in the comfort and security of their home, with guidance from parents who care about their welfare.
    --I have raised this question before. I was told that "having spent..." refers back to "the-educated". How could we tell that having refers back to the-educated? What is the grammatical structure like in here?

Thanks very much:)

Emily

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: half step adopted slibings

Angelina is Michelle, Alberto, and Jorge's_____? I was told that she should be their half-sister but I did not really understand why?
    Angelina and Michelle have the same mother but they have different fathers, so they are sisters, but since they share only half their DNA, they are half-sisters. Similarly, Angelina and Alberto and Jorge have the same father but they have different mothers. They share half their DNA. Angelina is their half-sister, and Alberto and Jorge are her half-brothers.

Ms. Sommer's in-laws are Miguel Santiago's_____? The answer is parents. I could understand this one but could it Santiago's in laws? I mean sisters in law or brothers in law?
    The term "in-laws", on its own like that, refers to parents. To make it more specific, add "mother", "sister", "brother", and so on.

When we write the word step-father, step-mother, step-...etc. Is the hypen necessary?
    In my dictionary, there isn't a hyphen at all. The words are combined, like this,
    stepfather, stepsister, stepbrother, stepdaughter. Mind you, "step-parent" is different. It has a hyphen.

The beginning of this pessage says that spokesperson for actor Nicole Sommers announced that Ms. Sommers is expecting a baby girl... I wonder to know why the spokesperson is for actor Nicole Sommers not for actress Ms. Sommers???
    Probably because the paragraph is about an actor. Moreover, if Nicole Sommers is married, Mrs would be used, and if not, then Ms.

Patronize is to talk down to someone, to speak to a person like a child.
    What does "talk down" here mean?
    To treat someone as if they are lower in status, intelligence, etc than you.

Are the critics for or again homeschooling?
    A critic is someone who finds fault with something/someone.

The home-educated appear to do just as well in terms of social and emotional development as other students, having spent more time in the comfort and security of their home, with guidance from parents who care about their welfare.
    There are two clues. First, "having spent. . ." can be moved:

The home-educated, having spent more time in the comfort and security of their home, appear to do just as well in terms of social and emotional development as other students.

Having spent more time in the comfort and security of their home, the home-educated appear to do just as well in terms of social and emotional development as other students.

Second, there's the phrase 'in their home'.