1. Unregistered

Smile opposites attract

Dear Teachers

I am writing to ask the meaning of "opposites attract." Does this mean that people tend to like people who are from different sex?

Thanks

Emily

2. ghmcal

Re: opposites attract

"Opposites attract" means that people who are unlike each other tend to be attracted to each other. For example, the daughter of a priest might tend to be attracted to a rebellious, irreligious man. (Because he is different and exotic.) The phrase "opposites attract" is used as an explanation when two people who are very unlike marry or date.

George

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: opposites attract

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Dear Teachers

I am writing to ask the meaning of "opposites attract." Does this mean that people tend to like people who are from different sex?

Thanks

Emily
    That refers to people's likes and dislikes, not their sexes. In certain cases people seem to be attracted to each other through their differences more than anything and the other rule "likes attracts likes" will not work for them.

I suppose you could stretch it somewhat and bring it to a gender level only where "likes attracts likes" phrase would apply to homosexual couples and "opposites attract" would apply to heterosexual relationships. You have to make it very clear, though, that this is what you are talking about.