Could you please write me sentences as examples for using each of the 3 things below?
1) Understanding in: example of using it
2) Understanding of: example of using it
3) Understanding about: example of using it
1) Much of the theory and understanding in ecology, however, comes from ecosystems that are not undergoing rapid change.
2) The present study used this rationale to gain a better understanding of the female adolescents' social experience.
3) Perhaps these responses arrive to a greater understanding about humanity: beauty becomes the thing needed.
It depends a lot on context. 'understanding' collocates with many prepositions. Of course, 'of' is by far more common.
Last edited by Offroad; 28-Dec-2009 at 06:21.