• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default expatiate/lent s hslping hsnd/broken-hearted/unadulterated/hoard/surreptitious/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Our next speaker will expatiate upon the question which was raised at the beginning of this meeting.

expatiate = to expand; to spread; to extend; to diffuse; to broaden

Bids his free soul expatiate in the skies.

expatiate = to range at large, or without restraint

He expatiated on the inconveniences of trade.

His relationship with his family was for many years an unhappy one, and he does not care to expatiate upon it.

expatiate = to enlarge in discourse or writing; to be copious in argument or discussion; to descant

He lent a helping hand to the brokenhearted widows and destitute orphans.

lend a helping hand = be of assistance

brokenhearted = full of sorrow

That Word He has revealed to us is pure and unadulterated.

unadulterated = not mixed with impurities; unforged; genuine

Hoarding is a general term for the accumulation of food or other items.

Hoarding may greatly affect the economy because the sale of assets to get cash for boarding causes prices of securities to fall and interest rates and the quantity of money to rise.

Humans also hoard money, especially if they expect deflation, in which falling prices mean that the purchasing power of money will rise.

Hoarded money is idle for it produces nothing.

During the war it was unlawful in Britain to hoard up tins of food.

Many people got rich by hoarding up gold until the price had risen more than ten times.

hoard (v) = accumulate; save up as for future use; to collect and lay up

When Ledger/Ennis looks away, you immediately see Gyllenhaal/Jack giving his now unsuspecting co-herder a surreptitious glance that is also so full of longing.

The monitoring is not surreptitious; on the contrary, the defendant and his or her attorney are required to be given notice of the government's listening activities.

surreptitious = done, made, or gotten by stealth

A “clandestine operation is a military or intelligence operation carried out in such a way that the operation goes unnoticed.

clandestine = conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 28-Dec-2009 at 15:20.

TheParser is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: expatiate/lent s hslping hsnd/broken-hearted/unadulterated/hoard/surreptitious/

***NOT A TEACHER***I just wanted to thank you for teaching me a new word from the huge vocabulary of English: expatiate. I'm pretty sure most of my fellow Americans have never heard it let alone have used it. If you ever write for an American audience, you might consider using another verb (maybe, for example, "to expound on"). Otherwise, you will "lose" your readers. Well, I had better stop expatiating on/upon this topic.