Thread: from Pademonium

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy from Pademonium

I have several questions today.

Question 1]

a) The letter came to me only yesterday. --> Only yesterday did the letter come to me.

In intro adverbial inversion, when [Only yesterday] is emphasized, the aux. [did] should be inserted, but what about this one?

b) Only yesterday come the letter to me.

Is b) grammartically correct? Like "The men fell down --> Down fell the man"?

Questions 2]

a) The rich are never happy.
    b) The rich are not always happy at all.
    c) The rich are not always happy in the least.

Do those three sentences convey the same meaning? To me, b) and c) sound a bit redundant. Do native speakers commonly use the construction [not... in the least]?

Question 3]

a) When you enter into a conversation or write a letter or report, you have to have something to say and some purpose and interest in expressing [that something], whatever it is.

...expressing [that something]... Does this part sound correct to native speakers?

Question 4]

a) When it came to our music, we could each understand what the other was saying.

IMHO, "When it comes to" is a fixed phrase like a preposition, so I don't think we need to inflect the verb "comes" even though the tense is past. So, then should I say "when it came to..." like a) or is it OK to use "when it comes to..." in that context.

Questions 5]

a) John is a high school senior and wants to go college.
    b) You should apply to the colleges you want to go.

Is "Go college" instead of "Go to college" acceptable in this context?

Thanks in advance!

Jay from ROK

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: from Pademonium

Question 1]

a) The letter came to me only yesterday. --> Only yesterday did the letter come to me.

In intro adverbial inversion, when [Only yesterday] is emphasized, the aux. [did] should be inserted, but what about this one?

b) Only yesterday came the letter to me.

Is b) grammatically correct? Like "The men fell down --> Down fell the man"?

It's just about possible, but I would avoid it like the plague.
    Questions 2]

a) The rich are never happy.
    b) The rich are not always happy at all.
    c) The rich are not always happy in the least.

These sentences carry increasing emphasis. C) is very clumsy, even when the wor order is corrected- not always in the least happy. I don't like this one, but it's emphasis, not redundancy.

Question 3]

a) When you enter into a conversation or write a letter or report, you have to have something to say and some purpose and interest in expressing [that something], whatever it is.

...expressing [that something]... Does this part sound correct to native speakers?

Yes
    Question 4]

a) When it came to our music, we could each understand what the other was saying.

IMHO, "When it comes to" is a fixed phrase like a preposition, so I don't think we need to inflect the verb "comes" even though the tense is past. So, then should I say "when it came to..." like a) or is it OK to use "when it comes to..." in that context.

I'd use the past tense without more context. The contact could be over.
    Questions 5]

a) John is a high school senior and wants to go college.
    b) You should apply to the colleges you want to go.

Is "Go college" instead of "Go to college" acceptable in this context?

Not to me.