metallicfacez is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Simple Present vs. Present Progressive

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand the difference between the following two sentences. Which one is grammatically correct? The first sentence uses the present progressive tense of “is bringing,” and the second one uses the simple present tense. My thought is that to represent an ongoing action, the simple present tense should be used. Any thoughts / comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1)Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that is bringing forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds.
    2)Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that brings forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Simple Present vs. Present Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by metallicfacez View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand the difference between the following two sentences. Which one is grammatically correct? The first sentence uses the present progressive tense of “is bringing,” and the second one uses the simple present tense. My thought is that to represent an ongoing action, the simple present tense should be used. Any thoughts / comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1)Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that is bringing forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds.
    2)Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that brings forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds.
    1)Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that is bringing forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds. This means it is happening right now.
    2)Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that brings forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds. This means it happens, from time to time.