aboalgory Guest

Question help me to teach : reflexive pronouns and reported speech

good morning . I am an English teacher scince 1998 in Saudi Arabia in Riyadh and scince that I couldn't find a new,complete and strong way to teach reflexive pronouns and reported speech ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so , pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeease help me as fast as you can and thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you .

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: help me to teach : reflexive pronouns and reported speech

Quote Originally Posted by aboalgory
    good morning . I am an English teacher scince 1998 in Saudi Arabia in Riyadh and scince that I couldn't find a new,complete and strong way to teach reflexive pronouns and reported speech ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so , pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeease help me as fast as you can and thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you .

Here's a simple reported speech activity. You can do this after you explain the grammar.

1. Ask someone in the class to introduce himself or herself and give some information. You could think of a few questions. 1. Where do you live? 2. Do you have any brothers or sisters? 3. What are their names? etc.

2. Ask another student to tell the class what the first student said.

Another idea:

1. Divide the class into groups, or have everyone work in pairs.

2. Tell them they should interview each other. Ask each other questions. You could make a list of simple questions.

3. When the speaking activity is over, ask each person to report back to the class the answers to some of the questions they asked. They should identify the person whose answers they are reporting to the class.

He said ............. She said ..................

She told me .............. He told me..........

that - optional

Here's another idea.

1. Record a news story. If they are not advanced enough to understand a complete news story in English, you could simplify a local story that they've heard. Try to include things that people said. Record your English version on a cassette, or type/write it out and read it to them.

2. Everyone listens to the story.

3. Tell them to write what they heard on the news. They can say what they heard also.

4. Give the news announcer a name. Maybe you could use the name of a well known news personality. Tell them to say or write out what they heard this news announcer say.

If they are advanced enough, they can listen to a news story in English. Ask them to identify and write out all forms of reported speech that they hear in the news story. This is good because there might be other verbs to listen for besides "say" and "tell".

inform warn report indicate deny complain - any others?
    Last edited by Steven D; 26-Mar-2005 at 02:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Just one thing.......

For your benefit, and for your students' benefit:

I've been an English teacher since 1998 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

I don't have anything in particular to offer for reflexive pronouns at the moment, but if something comes to mind, I'll post it.

aboalgory Guest

Thumbs up Re: help me to teach : reflexive pronouns and reported speech

Thanks and I am waiting .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks and I am waiting .

Okay, here's a reflexive pronoun idea.

First list these verbs: think, do, make, hear. see, look,

Next we have prepositions that go with these verbs and when using reflexive pronouns.

do _______ by + reflexive pronoun

make ________ by + refexive pronoun

Ask everyone to think of things that they or someone else has done by himself/herself. It can be something simple or impressive. It doesn't matter.

Try to make a small story. Use one of the things that someone says he/she did. Improvise. There's no guarantee you'll come up with something, but I think if the students write enough things that they've done or made, you could possibly think of some ideas to follow.

Example:

1. I made dinner by myself.

2. Tom said he made dinner by himself.

3. Why? His wife was working late and he was hungry. She usually cooks.

think to + reflexive pronoun

4. Tom thought to himself that if he wanted something for dinner, he would have to cook it for himself.

Use the present if they don't understand the use of "would" in the past.

Tom said, "If I want something for dinner, I'll have to cook it for myself."

direct speech instead of reported speech

hear for + reflexive pronoun

5. I can't believe it. Tom's never cooked anything for himself. I have to hear it for myself from Tom. Is he home now?

6. Is this true Tom? You made dinner by yourself?

7. Yes, I didn't think I could do it by myself, but I did.

see + reflexive pronoun + in the mirror

look at + reflexive pronoun + in the mirror

Bring in a small mirror or a picture of someone looking in a mirror.

What is he doing? What is she doing?

She's looking at herself in the mirror. He's looking at himself in the mirror.

Ask everyone to look at the mirror that you bring in.

Do you see yourself in the mirror? Yes, we see ourselves in the mirror.

Can you see yourself in the mirror? Yes, We can see ourselves in the mirror.

Does Sue see herself in the mirror? Yes, Sue sees herself in the mirror.

What are some things that one does to oneself, for oneself, or by oneself?

http://perso.wanadoo.es/autoenglish/gr.reflex.p.htm

Do you need some help with that?

No thanks. I can handle it myself. Thanks anyway.

Here's another example:

Dialog:

Ann is teaching herself how to paint.

She is?

Yes, she can't pay for a course, so she's learning by herself.

Is it hard to learn how to paint by yourself?

I don't know.

Why don't you ask Ann?

Think of anything. Make up a story or a dialog. Use one of the ideas that a student thinks of. Make the vocabulary as difficult as their level permits.
    Last edited by Steven D; 27-Mar-2005 at 00:16.