Unregistered Guest

Default more attractive lessons

I've got a request. Can anybody advise me how to make
    English lessons more attractive for high school students who aren't generally very good at learning foreign languages?

Steven D is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: more attractive lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I've got a request. Can anybody advise me how to make
    English lessons more attractive for high school students who aren't generally very good at learning foreign languages?
    Use the textbook minimally. Focus on real communication. Talk about things that mean something. When you walk into the classroom, try to imagine that you don't know their first langauge. Is English your first language? If not, go in with the idea that it is. Try to add more genuine communication to the class. Of course, they'll need a grammar book, but focus on communication first. That might make it more interesting to them.

Find out what they like that comes from countries where English is the first language. Movies? Music? Designer clothing? It could be anything. Use those as topics for the purpose of teaching English. For example, you could talk about a famous actor.

Low Beginner: - Who is he? Where is from? etc..

Moving to higher levels: Bring in a short text that tells about this particular actor. Ask questions about the text. Do they understand all the vocabulary? etc. Use the text to highlight grammar forms if that's possible. Try to get as much out of the text as possible.

I would let them know the benefits of learning English. Many people use English to communicate with people from other parts of the world. English is often a common language. One that knows English is more in touch with the rest of world.

Do they like business? Talk about English as it relates to doing business internationally.

Cultural topics that are interesting to them - This can make it more fun and enjoyable.

Business - This lets them know that it's practical and can really be of use.

International Communication

You could do this, but it will depend on their level.
    • Find a way to contact other high school students in a country where English is the first language. Write a class letter. This would be a good class activity. If you do a search somehow, I think you might be able to find out how and where your class can write to other students their own age.
    Last edited by Steven D; 26-Mar-2005 at 14:06. Reason: punctuation