aperey Guest

Default Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method

I am glad to introduce teachers in UsingEnglish.com to teachers who use the Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method, K-12. You can see links to articles written by them on the website of the Aesthetic Realism Foundation--Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method.

One article in particular, printed in the Tennesse Tribune was written by distinguished ESL teacher Patricia Martone: THE SUCCESS OF THE AESTHETIC REALISM TEACHING METHOD: STUDENTS LEARN, PREJUDICE IS DEFEATED!

I'll come again to read messages and post new ones.

Au revoir!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method

I was interested by this:
    This is the educational method which for decades has succeeded magnificently while other approaches have failed and while schools have increasingly become places of anger and non-learning.

There were examples of motivational effects in lessons, but could you give some figures to demonstrate the degree of improvement achieved by this method?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I was interested by this:
    This is the educational method which for decades has succeeded magnificently while other approaches have failed and while schools have increasingly become places of anger and non-learning.

There were examples of motivational effects in lessons, but could you give some figures to demonstrate the degree of improvement achieved by this method?

The three following articles give precise figures: 96%, 100%, and 15 students out of 16 -- a success rate essentially unheard of by any other method.

1. In an article titled Through the Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method Knowledge Opposes Anger — & Students Learn! high school science teacher Rosemary A. Plumstead wrote:
    In fact, 96 percent of these 9th grade students passed the RCTs (Regents Competency Test) in science — in a school system where there is so much failure! (January 28, 1999 - San Antonio Register) [Note: red emphasis added]
    2. The late Lois Mason, one of New York's most cared-for teachers, wrote this in 1999. She is referring to her social studies students at New Utrecht High School, Brooklyn:
    In just six weeks, this lesson and others like it dramatically affected my students and their ability to learn. Esteban — about whom I'd heard a teacher say, "He'll never learn anything; he's slow" — passed every classroom test and got a 78 on the citywide uniform final. Of the 16 students who took this exam, 15 passed. Toward the end of the summer session, Al Salzo said in amazement, "We always have such a good time here!" (The Right of Aesthetic Realism to Be Known, no.1378, September 1, 1999);
    3. In her "Lesson on Blood" Ms. Plumstead wrote in the Philippine Post (March, 2001):
    In January, 100 percent of the class passed the course.
    Jeremy wrote that because of the lessons on blood, "I look at other human beings and I think, 'They have the same thing I have. I even treat people nicer... because I care about people more. They have something that is so important in their bodies.'"
    These results are clearly extraordinary.

Meanwhile, there are accounts by teachers with observations of the progress of their students which also are extraordinary, even though they have not been "quantified" in percentages. Such accounts are every bit as reliable as the more abstractly quantitative one. For example, English teacher Leila Rosen wrote in The English Record,
    My students came to love adjectives, to use them with pleasure in their writing and also to recognize and care for them in sentences they read. I love the Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method for strengthening and bringing to life—in students and teachers alike—real interest, honest excitement about the world and what is in it!
    These too are results every teacher longs for.

Inservice training is given at the Aesthetic Realism Foundation and onsite, so that other teachers can do as these have done.

See: Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method / Lesson Plans. Classes for teachers given by A. Perey, PhD, R. Plumstead (science), B. Allen (music, English) or, Education: The Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method (K-12)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aperey View Post
    The three following articles give precise figures: 96%, 100%, and 15 students out of 16 -- a success rate essentially unheard of by any other method.
    What did the control group achieve?