[General] far-reaching/have work cut-out/on the rise/intercept(n),(v)/come up with/relegate

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Europe has been in need of more far-reaching changes for some time.

The authors point out that record size is an important factor which was not varied in the work quoted, and it would not be safe to draw far-reachingconclusions from a limited investigation of this sort.

In Kenya a new Ministry of the Environment and other far-reaching institutional reforms are currently before parliament.

far-reaching = having many important consequences or implications

Spain has work cut out.

have work cut-out = if you have your work cut out, you have something very difficult to do

All right, now - let's cut out the talking.

cut out = to stop, quit

Kidnapping on the rise

on the rise = on the way up

The National Security Agency four months ago intercepted conversations among leaders of Al Qaeda in Yemen discussing a plot to use a Nigerian man for a coming terrorist attack, but American spy agencies later failed to combine the intercepts with other information that might have disrupted last week’s attempted airline bombing.

intercept (v) = listen in on, tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information

intercept (n) = phone taping

Eight years ago, federal officials were struggling to remove potentially deadly E. coli from hamburgers when an entrepreneurial company from South Dakota came up with a novel idea: injecting beef with ammonia.

come up with = discover

The company, Beef Products Inc., had been looking to expand into the hamburger business with a product made from beef that included fatty trimmings the industry once relegated to pet food and cooking oil.

trimmings = scraps or material removed when something is trimmed

relegate = expel; assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; to put in the charge of another for care, use

David Hasselhoff wass very shy off stage in front of girls because he was tall and thin, but when he was on stage he was in his element.

in one’s element = in an environment naturally suited to or associated with one; doing what one enjoys

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
Europe has been in need of more far-reaching changes for some time.

The authors point out that record size is an important factor which was not varied in the work quoted, and it would not be safe to draw far-reaching conclusions from a limited investigation of this sort.

In Kenya creation of a new Ministry of the Environment and other far-reaching institutional reforms are currently before parliament. The incorporation makes good something missing here.

far-reaching = having many important consequences or implications Ok

Spain has work cut out.

have work cut-out = if you have your work cut out, you have something very difficult to do Ok
Every nation in the world has its work cut out to contain the growing evil effects of global worming.

All right, now - let's cut out the talking.

cut out = to stop, quit. Ok as phrasal verb and informal He has decided to cut out smoking.

Kidnapping on the rise

on the rise = on the way up

The National Security Agency four months ago intercepted conversations among leaders of Al Qaeda in Yemen discussing a plot to use a Nigerian man for a coming terrorist attack, but American spy agencies later failed to combine the intercepts with other information that might have disrupted last week’s attempted airline bombing.

intercept (v) = listen in on, tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information

intercept (n) = phone taping Ok

Eight years ago, federal officials were struggling to remove potentially deadly E. coli from hamburgers when an entrepreneurial company from South Dakota came up with a novel idea: injecting beef with ammonia.

come up with = discover = find a solution; provide a new idea or answer
Could you please come up with something if you don't like my thinking?

The company, Beef Products Inc., had been looking to expand into the hamburger business with a product made from beef that included fatty trimmings the industry once relegated to pet food and cooking oil.

trimmings = scraps or material removed when something is trimmed

relegate = expel; assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; to put in the charge of another for care, use Ok

David Hasselhoff wass very shy off stage in front of girls because he was tall and thin, but when he was on stage he was in his element. Excellent example

in one’s element = in an environment naturally suited to or associated with one; doing what one enjoys = a feel-good tradition that one has inherited and dutifully keep going,

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Indeed fine

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.