Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here is a sentence:
Drinks are carefully measured, seats in the cinemas are carefully assigned (even if the theatre is empty you have to sit in the seat assigned to you), closing hours rigorously observed.

Why isn't an auxiliary verb "are" used in this sentence? (After closing hours)
By the way, is my question correct?

Thanks in advance.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is a sentence:
Drinks are carefully measured, seats in the cinemas are carefully assigned (even if the theatre is empty you have to sit in the seat assigned to you), closing hours rigorously observed.

Thanks in advance.
***NOT A TEACHER***(1) Your question is fine. May I suggest a few changes: Why isn't the auxiliary verb "are" used after "closing hours"? (2) It appears that the writer wanted to write in a hurried manner. Probably, the last part should read: ...to you), AND closing hours ARE rigorously observed.

usignolo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
***NOT A TEACHER***(1) Your question is fine. May I suggest a few changes: Why isn't the auxiliary verb "are" used after "closing hours"? (2) It appears that the writer wanted to write in a hurried manner. Probably, the last part should read: ...to you), AND closing hours ARE rigorously observed.

Thanks a lot!!!

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Here is a sentence:

Thanks in advance.

Actually, it is there. It just so happens we do not see it.

You can see an example of medial ellipsis in Drinks are carefully measured, seats in the cinemas (are) carefully assigned, closing hours (are) rigorously observed.

usignolo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Actually, it is there. It just so happens we do not see it.

You can see an example of medial ellipsis in Drinks are carefully measured, seats in the cinemas (are) carefully assigned, closing hours (are) rigorously observed.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.