Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    muzamil is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wink accent neutralization and accent reduction

    Respected Sir,
    I have problems in accent redection and accent neutralization in british accent . Please help me in this context. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: accent neutralization and accent reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by muzamil View Post
    Respected Sir,
    I have problems in accent redection and accent neutralization in british accent . Please help me in this context. Thanks.
    (Not a teacher)

    I'm not entirely sure what the process involves (as a speech therapist, I'm not very positive about it!), but perhaps there may be an elocutionist that you can receive elocution lessons from. I could recommend some books - Alan Cruttenden's Gimson's Pronunciation of English is good if you have a sound phonetic background, and it focuses on RP. It would be very hard to learn an accent just from reading books, however, so listen to as much English as you can trying to keep to the accent you want to learn.

    If you want to learn RP, this might be harder to do using BBC television or radio. The current trend in Britain is for television and radio to use regional accents. The days of the news being read in an RP accent are largely gone. There still exist some RP accents around in the media though - any Royal Family member, Stephen Fry, Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) are a few who come to mind.

    Without a doubt, however, elocution lessons would be the best thing to do to master a particular accent.

    I would also recommend recording yourself and listening to it objectively, and ask yourself if it sounds like the target accent.

  3. #3
    sasikumar81 is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: accent neutralization and accent reduction

    Accent neutralization means achieving an accent that is 'neutral' and therefore understandable to a global audience. ...

    When an individual feels that his or her accent interferes with overall communication in a social or work setting, that person may seek Accent Modification, more commonly known as Accent reduction.

    Source: Accent Neutralization | How to speak Neutral Accent?

  4. #4
    LisaScott is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: accent neutralization and accent reduction

    Working with an accent reduction specialist would probably help you achieve the results you are looking for. It is beneficial to look for someone who is a speech pathologist and/ or certified in accent reduction. This person would have advanced training in how certain sounds are made and how to modify your speech to make the same sounds.

    I offer accent reduction training via Skype anywhere in the world, but as I am American, I teach a standard American accent rather than a British accent. However, I am certain that there are accent reduction specialists who teach a British accent.

    To your best speech,

    Lisa Scott

  5. #5
    Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: accent neutralization and accent reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaScott View Post
    Working with an accent reduction specialist would probably help you achieve the results you are looking for. It is beneficial to look for someone who is a speech pathologist and/ or certified in accent reduction. This person would have advanced training in how certain sounds are made and how to modify your speech to make the same sounds.

    I offer accent reduction training via Skype anywhere in the world, but as I am American, I teach a standard American accent rather than a British accent. However, I am certain that there are accent reduction specialists who teach a British accent.

    To your best speech,

    Lisa Scott
    That's interesting. Do speech pathologists in the US offer accent reduction?

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: accent neutralization and accent reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    That's interesting. Do speech pathologists in the US offer accent reduction?
    Why would they not? It sounds like a relatively simple way to earn a living for a speech therapist.

  7. #7
    Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: accent neutralization and accent reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Why would they not? It sounds like a relatively simple way to earn a living for a speech therapist.
    I guess if speech therapists are a private service in the US. I know that speech therapists in Brazil do facial exercises to reduce wrinkles!

    Certainly, here in the UK, a speech therapist wouldn't take someone who wants accent reduction onto their caseload. Only people with disorders of speech/language/communication merit a place on a speech therapy caseload. I just thought that the US was more in line with this sort of approach. It does make sense if it is a privat service - as I said. No doubt, it makes more money.

Similar Threads

  1. Neutralized Accent
    By anupumh in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 26-Nov-2009, 07:29
  2. [General] What is Neutral Accent?
    By anupumh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2009, 12:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •