[Vocabulary] How to put the word stress on "Sherlock Holmes"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

Currently one famous movie called "Sherlock Holmes", I'd like to know how to pronounce it correctly, I mean how to put the word stress on their syllables. SHERlock holmes, sherLOCK HOLMES or SHERlock HOLMES....you can let me know in phonetics symbols, I can understand it....thanks.

WYH

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Everybody,

Currently one famous movie called "Sherlock Holmes", I'd like to know how to pronounce it correctly, I mean how to put the word stress on their syllables. SHERlock holmes, sherLOCK HOLMES or SHERlock HOLMES....you can let me know in phonetics symbols, I can understand it....thanks.

WYH

Standard English RP - /ˈʃeəlʌk ˈhəʊmz/

Some other variations that would be acceptable:

/ˈʃerlʌk ˈhomz/
/ˈʃeəlʌk ˈhomz/
/'ʃɜ:lʌk 'homz/

There are many more that would be acceptable. As you can see, each name has a stress on the first syllable (the second only has one syllable). I assume most people's names have stress in them; it would be unlikely to have a name that has no stress at all.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Standard English RP - /ˈʃeəlʌk ˈhəʊmz/

Some other variations that would be acceptable:

/ˈʃerlʌk ˈhomz/
/ˈʃeəlʌk ˈhomz/
/'ʃɜ:lʌk 'homz/

There are many more that would be acceptable. As you can see, each name has a stress on the first syllable (the second only has one syllable). I assume most people's names have stress in them; it would be unlikely to have a name that has no stress at all.

Hi Linguist, can you use word stress symbol to tell me what do hear in the following audio clips respectively, thanks.

Sherlock Holmes 01
Download Sh01 - MP3 Ringtone Sh01 by Sh01 - Free Music Hosting

Sherlock Holmes 02
Download Sh02 - MP3 Ringtone Sh02 by Sh02 - Free Music Hosting

WYH

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Linguist, can you use word stress symbol to tell me what do hear in the following audio clips respectively, thanks.

Sherlock Holmes 01
Download Sh01 - MP3 Ringtone Sh01 by Sh01 - Free Music Hosting

Sherlock Holmes 02
Download Sh02 - MP3 Ringtone Sh02 by Sh02 - Free Music Hosting

WYH

The stress is on the same place in each of them 'SHERlock HOLMES'. If it was 'sherLOCK HOLMES' 'Sherlock' would sound very strange indeed.

I suppose you could argue that there is equal stress on all the syllables, but what is important is that the first syllable of 'Sherlock' has stress. Whether to stress the 'lock' or not doesn't matter.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
The stress is on the same place in each of them 'SHERlock HOLMES'. If it was 'sherLOCK HOLMES' 'Sherlock' would sound very strange indeed.

I suppose you could argue that there is equal stress on all the syllables, but what is important is that the first syllable of 'Sherlock' has stress. Whether to stress the 'lock' or not doesn't matter.

Thank you very much for your answer, I am learning a lot from you Linguist. Actually I want to explain how come I always emphasize the word stress, because when I hear native speaker to speak English, they speak naturally and have different style to other non-english speaking countries. I found that one different point between native speaker and non-native speaker is the word stress. For example, Native speakers pronounce "TOIlet", some singaporeans or Malaysians pronounce "toiLET", Native speakers pronounce "PASSport", some non-native speakers pronounce "PASS PORT" ..two syllables are stress....so I am learning how to pronounce the word stress correctly to improve my english speaking to speak like a native speaker...

Status
Not open for further replies.