Double fullstop at end of sentence

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 12,144
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Dear Sir/Madam, I would really appreciate help with the following query that has puzzled me for a while. If I have a sentence that ends with the name of a company + Inc., would the sentence end with a double fullstop as in the following example, or would only one fullstop be used:
..... manufactured by Bulldog Inc.. The next stop would be to....

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Sir/Madam, I would really appreciate help with the following query that has puzzled me for a while. If I have a sentence that ends with the name of a company + Inc., would the sentence end with a double fullstop as in the following example, or would only one fullstop be used:
..... manufactured by Bulldog Inc.. The next stop would be to....
***NOT A TEACHER***I could not find a rule in any of my books, but I am 99% sure that Americans would never end a sentence with a double period. I read quite a lot and have never seen that. I think that most readers would find two periods (as we call "full stops") very strange and even ugly-looking.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
***NOT A TEACHER***I could not find a rule in any of my books, but I am 99% sure that Americans would never end a sentence with a double period. I read quite a lot and have never seen that. I think that most readers would find two periods (as we call "full stops") very strange and even ugly-looking.

I agree. The period functions both as the end of the abbreviation Inc. and the end of the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.